MIL AF Rescinds Ban on Forearm Tats

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SofaKingKong, Dec 10, 2009.

1. SofaKingKong

SofaKingKong New Member

The U.S. Air Force abruptly rescinded a new ban on forearm tattoos after dozens of recruits -- including a Westmoreland County woman -- were told they could not head to basic training despite having qualified under old standards.
    Twenty-six recruits were barred from shipping out to Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio after the Air Force quietly expanded its policy on tattoos on Nov. 25. Among them was Kayla Bresnan, 19, of Penn Township, whose tattoo of a theatrical mask on her "saluting" or right forearm passed muster when she was sworn in to the Delayed Entry Program in April.
    "We are working diligently to ensure those individuals who were affected and whose tattoos were already approved are rescheduled for a ship date for Basic Military Training," Amy Bartholomew, a spokeswoman for the Air Force Recruiting Service, wrote in an e-mail. Ms. Bresnan will depart for Lackland Dec. 15.
    The Air Force's existing policy, which remains, bars "obscene" and "excessive" tattoos. The service expanded it to prohibit tattoos on the right forearm after a recent review of more than 6,000 trainees found at least 80 with inappropriate tattoos. The Air Force said it wanted to tighten its rules to ensure members were "portraying a professional military image."

2. fuover4free

fuover4free Active Member

read this earlier.... tattoos prior to entering should not be a problem as long as they are not offensive.

3. scottiemac

scottiemac It's time to shoot some hot dogs!

that's what long sleeves are for.

4. SofaKingKong

SofaKingKong New Member

I have a tattoo that covers my shin and calf and I was told that I might not be able to re-enlist. The reason being that if PT shorts are the uniform of the day, that more than 25% of the exposed area will be covered with a tattoo and can not be covered by the uniform.

5. fuover4free

fuover4free Active Member

That's what knee high socks are for.:eek3:
    I would wear some sort of ladies stockings bro. the natural colored ones or something.... that is if you really want to re enlist.

6. wayno

wayno New Member

Did you have the tattoo before you enlisted? If you're an otherwise good troop I can't see where they wouldn't grandfather or waiver you.

7. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I was going to post this, but didn't get a chance. That girl lives right near me.

8. SofaKingKong

SofaKingKong New Member

No, I got while I was in. I got before the new PT gear was mandatory.

We will see what happens. I am in the ANG which is a little behind active duty.

9. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

If I was any of the people told they couldn't join because of a tattoo, I would give them the big ol middle finger when they called me to tell me it was now ok, and join the Navy.

10. SofaKingKong

SofaKingKong New Member

My brother is Active Duty Navy and he got a whole sleeve. No one has said shit because his uniform can cover it up.

11. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

yet another reason i would never enlist

12. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

You're supposed to get new tattoo's approved by your CO before going and getting them, but no one does it :mamoru: The SO got a tattoo on his left forearm (underside tho) last year. Never got it approved and no one's said shit. All he did was make sure his medical record is updated to reflect the tattoo.

He's also getting a large calf piece done next year. And he's reenlisting in a few days and his PT gear is not going to cover this tattoo he's getting :dunno: I don't see why it would be an issue for any of the branches.

13. SofaKingKong

SofaKingKong New Member

It never was an issue with the Air Force. This is something that came up with in the last few months.

14. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

Yeah, I'm not understanding that at all, tbh. Makes no sense, tattoo's are just part of being in the Military. There's less people in the Military who are tattoo free then there are those with tattoos :dunno: