MIL AF policy on sleep apnea

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dec_a21, Nov 15, 2009.

1. dec_a21

dec_a21 New Member

how does the af stand on personnel with sleep apnea?

2. Mr. Monopoly

Mr. Monopoly OT Supporter

Dude that went through MEPS with me had it. He got sent home pending some Dr. visits and I believe a board hearing.

3. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

If you are in already, then it is up to you if you want to get out.

If you aren't in... ...good luck.

4. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

i have it, I am in.

5. SofaKingKong

SofaKingKong New Member

AFI 48-123:

MEDICAL STANDARDS FOR CONTINUED MILITARY SERVICE
    Conditions listed in this Attachment require Medical Evaluation Board (MEB) processing for active duty members, worldwide duty evaluation for ARC members when appropriate, and are not all-inclusive. ARC members must be placed on a “4” profile under the appropriate PULHES heading on AF Form 422. Any condition in the opinion of the provider of care is felt to be
    unacceptable for continued military service is reason for performing a MEB for active duty and ANG members or worldwide duty medical evaluation for Reserve members. Questionable conditions should be addressed to the senior profile officer and if required to HQ AFPC/DPAMM for active duty members and to the appropriate ARC/SG for ARC members. ANG members with
    medically disqualifying medical conditions will meet an MEB. Required documentation as noted in paragraph 14.16.3. with the addition of AF Form 618 will be forwarded to ANG/SGPS.

A2.1. Head.
    A2.1.1. The loss of substance of the skull, with or without prosthetic replacement accompanied by
    residual signs or symptoms which preclude satisfactory performance of duty or unrestricted station
    assignability.
    A2.1.2. An unprotected skull defect 3 cm in diameter or larger.
    A2.2. Mouth, Nose, Pharynx, Larynx, and Trachea.
    A2.2.1. Larynx.
    A2.2.1.1. Paralysis of the larynx. Characterized by bilateral vocal cord paralysis seriously interfering with speech or adequate airway.
    A2.2.1.2. Stenosis of the larynx. Of a degree causing respiratory compromise.
    A2.2.1.3. Obstructive edema. Obstructive edema of the glottis, if recurrent.
    A2.2.1.4. Obstructive sleep apnea requiring Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) device.

6. solarsrt4

solarsrt4 New Member

My section supervisor is getting MB'd for Sleep Apnea I believe. He sews on Master probably next month and will need to re-enlist for 2 years before he retires. He will probably go on undeployable status but i don't know if they are going to actually let him re-enlist. MB's can take awhile so i hear.

7. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

while in the ANG I was told I may have Sleep Apnea. I was in flight status at the time and was told that if I was diagnosed with it I would lose my flight status. I have a snoring problem and have been told I momentarily stop breathing during my sleep. Oh well, I feel good so far.