MIL Aerospace Engineering careers in the Military?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Morton, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Morton

Morton New Member

Ok, I don't post here much, but I am a cadet in Army ROTC at an engineering school. I am majoring in Aerospace Engineering and was wondering what active army career choices I had in the aerospace field. I checked on goarmy link posted above, and the only Engineering Officer spots listed were combat, construction, and topographic engineer officers. Are these the only jobs open to engineers, or are there other spots, like aircraft design? I don't want to get an AE degree and never use it.

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Split off from the Military FAQ thread.

3. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

I don't think any branches of service do their own engineering anymore. Most of the AE guys I have worked with became software engineers.

4. Ranger-AO

I wouldn't think the Army would have a lot of use for an aerospace engineer. :dunno:

Have you thought of the Air Force, Navy or Marines? (in that order)

5. spades

spades George P. Burdell II

The AF has a place for you. I have a B.S. in Aerospace Engineering and my career field is 62E - Developmental Engineering. There are multiple things that you can do as an Engineer in the AF. You can do test and evaluation, work in the research lab, become a program manager, get your master's, get your PhD, teach at the academy, and numerous other jobs. Right now I'm getting my master's degree and my follow-on assignment is to become a program manager.

The AF is hurting for engineers. The career field is critically manned (50%). That's cuz all the engineers leave for the money from private companies. Engineers from the AF get recruited alot by headhunters from private companies. Every month I get a few letters asking to interview me. The reason is simple - you have experience with blue systems, you have management experience, and you already have security clearance. The engineers that do stay in end up doing only 20 years and getting out then collect retirement pay along with their fat contrator check. That's what my old boss did. Collecting half of a Col's pay plus a six figure contractor pay = mucho moolah. Or you can get out before your 20 years are up and collect from 80K+ on up.

If you got any questions about the Engineering Field in the AF, let me know.

6. Morton

Morton New Member

I don't know the acuracy of this but an Army recruiter once told me that the Army had more airframes than the Air Force with all of the helicopters. I guess I was wanting to know if they used thier own engineers or they contracted out.

I am pretty set on the Army, I don't think I would switch to AF unless it was absolutly necesarry for me to use my degree in the military.

7. Accord

Accord New Member

8. Ranger-AO

There is an Army Aviation & Missile Research, Development, and Engineering Center at Redstone Arsenal in Alabama. They've gotta have some aerospace engineer-types there. I did some google work and came up with some contact info. If nothing else, she might be able to steer you in the right direction.

check your PM inbox for details.

9. Morton

Morton New Member

Alright, thanks for all of your help guys. I'll check out that info.