Adware & Spyware - Cure for dummies

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Atlantis, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Atlantis

Atlantis Guest

1.) Download the following freeware (free) programs.

Spybot-S&D - Search & Destroy
    LavaSoft Ad-aware
    CWShredder

These will help you clean out any possible spyware or adware that could be causing your browser / windows problems.

2.) Next download these as well

SpywareBlaster -- by Java Cool Software
    SpywareGuard -- by Java Cool Software

These programs do something that windows should. They prevent many spyware & adware programs, from even being installed or reinstalled.

3.) Update & run all the above
    4.) If the first three programs found spyware / adware, reboot after cleaning, then rescan
    5.) Once everything has been done & cleaned, reboot. Even if you've done so already.

6.) If you're not using some kind of anti-virus scan, you really should & you'd be glad to know, there are some free onces out there.

Avast 4Home
    AVG
    BitDefender
    Anti Vir
    EZ Trust

These are all freeware (free), so they should protect you now. Should you be willing to pay for one, I'd recommend; Kaspersky Anti-Virus

You should now update & fully scan for any possible viruses. Should you find any, rescan once more to be sure it was cleaned.

From this point, had it been your normal adware, spyware, or virus; your copy of explorer should be fixed & your computer cleaned.
    However, should you still be having problems there are still some more tips to try.

1.) HiJackThis -- This program will show you a full detail of all plug-in or active settings that could have been added into your copy of explorer or within your computer. Be VERY careful of removing anything you find here. Your best bet, is to save the log & have someone else view it a few times.

2.) Uninstall any 3rd party programs that may have added to explorer or else where in your computer. Be sure to avoid the 3rd party programs if uninstalling it, cures your problem.
    3.) Double check to see what maybe loading with windows: Start > Run > msconfig (only un-check something here, if you're 100% sure).

4.) Try installing SP2, if you haven't already & if your using XP (SP4 on 2000, sp1 on 2003). ONLY INSTALL SP2 (SP4 on 2000, SP1 on 2003), ONCE ALL SPYWARE, ADWARE, OR POSSIBLE VIRUSES, HAVE BEEN REMOVED!

If all the above has failed, it maybe time to backup all your data & do a system restore, to a point before you had this problem.

Edit: Changed step #4
    Edit: Fixed grammar & cleared up some details

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2004
  2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Sticky!

Good job! :bigthumb:

3. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

This is definitely relevant material. In my part time job I am spending more and more time fixing this stuff, and this is an excellent guide. If anyone has anything else to add please put it in this thread as I will keep it stuck for a while.

Thank you for writing this. :)

4. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Good idea to get something like this up. Thanks. :)

5. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

Hmm, I put up pretty much the same post a while ago and no one cared. Oh well.

People should look at using another browser as well. Internet Explorer is where most adware get in through. Try using something like Firefox or Opera.

6. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

Great post. It's nice to have things like these stickied to cut down on 'My computer has spyware' posts.

Would it be appropriate to include links to BHODemon (1.0) for BHO's, and Trend Micro Housecall for anti-virus solutions?

And for browsers, I'd like to recommend Avant Browser. It's done a great job at keeping internet scum from reaching my computer.

7. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

what is the difference between the top 3 programs and the ones labeled anti virus scan? Aren't they all the same? trying to decide which one would be the best for me.

8. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

The 3 programs at the top are used to find and remove articles of spyware and adware. They're not considered viruses, so much, but they're just as harmful.

If you check out the Spywareinfo forums (you can Google it, the site has been down for a while), they'll give you all the details on what spyware/adware is and how to protect your computer from it.

9. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

awsome thanks! have any recommendations on which of the 3 programs is better?

recommendations on the anti virus scanner besides AVG (bad experience)?

10. Atlantis

Atlantis Guest

With all the spyware / aware out there, you're going to need all three.

Spybot-S&D - Search & Destroy
    LavaSoft Ad-aware
    CWShredder

However, the last one is really made to remove the really hard one, so I guess
    you could get away with just the first two. I'm sure you're trying to to install
    less, but the truth is, they will save you in the end & no program find
    every possible spyware / adware.

However, if you must only use one, I'd pick Spybot S&D.
    Not only will it help remove many little bugs off your system,
    but it will give you some limited help, in keeping them off.

11. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

Norton Anti Virus is simply the best in my opinion

12. Atlantis

Atlantis Guest

All though Norton is one of the best known brand names out, it has been
    known to not only miss more then a few simple viruses, but some of it's
    core program runs on HTML coding & has also been a target for a few well
    known viruses.

But it's still better then nothing.

13. Poon

Poon New Member

thanks nice

14. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I second the Norton. I have always been using it and have never gotten a virus go through.

On the comment of Norton missing a virus or two, do these free antivirus programs update their definitions as regularly as Norton? IIRC, Norton puts out new virus definitions at least twice a week or more if needed.

Not bashing, just wondering since I have never used any other virus sofware.

Thanks,

15. l S3RG10 l

l S3RG10 l New Member

awesum thanks!

16. Atlantis

Atlantis Guest

They do very on updated. A few of them are really good & come out with
    updates as often as Norton. Though out of all of them, I still recommend
    Kaspersky Anti-Virus. They come out with updates 1x each day or even
    2 - 3x each day. Also, I have yet to find any program to catch everything
    I've come across. I'm not going to tell you it's perfect, as nothing is. But
    it's as close as I've seen to it.

17. Yodaman456

Yodaman456 New Member

thanks it really helped alot good work

18. Atlantis

Atlantis Guest

You're welcome :wavey:

19. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

20. sublime335

sublime335 New Member

I used Norton and Firefox for a long time without getting a virus, but then I used internet explorer once and had like 5 trojan downloaders that norton couldent pick up. I downloaded AVG and it found all of them and I havent had any spyware problems since. Plus, a lot of the time when Norton does find viruses it can't delete them and you end up having to delete them yourself manually. Obviously having norton is better than having nothing but it is not by any means the best.

21. Beezure

Beezure Go Lightning!! OT Supporter

:bowdown: thanks for the great info

22. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Norton is bad about being slow with the AV updates. Trend Micro has the fastest updates of the big names. I've noticed at least one and sometimes 3 or 4 AV updates from Trend per day. They really keep on top of it.

Should also be noted that SpywareGuard runs in the background, protecting you between scans like antivirus real-time scanning. This is very necessary. Recently, I was searching for something on google, browsed to a site and wham! About 10 spyware/adware programs where installed. I did NOTHING on the site. Didn't download any files, run any activeX Controls. nadda. Windows was totally up-to-date, firewalled, and AV protected. If the firewall had not starting asking to let all these programs contact the internet, I'd never know it happened.

Of course, I was using IE to browse too.....

23. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Using SpywareBlaster would have kept most, if not all, of those 10 spyware/adware programs from getting installed to start with.

There are also security settings for IE you (and everyone) should think about setting. Sorry but at the current time I can't remember or look at my settings to see what they are. But they allow can help keep the crap out, and I learned this before there was a SpywareBlaster.

24. Ewido detects more malware than adaware and spybot. http://www.ewido.net/en/
    Realtime protection against over 86.000 threats. The setup contains the free as well as the plus-version of the ewido security suite. After the installation a free 14 day test version containing all the extensions of the plus-version will be activated. At the end of the test phase the extensions of the plus version are deactivated and the Freeware version can be used unlimited.

25. COMplex

COMplex New Member