adware help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trez157, Jun 2, 2004.

1. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

I went to this one website which auto dl'ed all sorts of junk to my machine. I have run adware, spybot, and hijack this to get rid of teh problem. However, it will stay gone only for a few days and then return. What it does is- change my start page, ironically to one that prompts me to d/l an adaware type program, also, lycos search something or other to my desktop, and a bunch of junk programs to my HDD. Bargain Buddy and all sorts of other shit. What I have done is remove the stuff with the above mentioned programs, as well as run Norton AV just to make sure.. I end up deleting a bunch of files and yet, it still comes back. So now, I come to yall for help.

HELP!!!
    Thanks.

Also, if you recommend a reformat, what are the proper steps I should take when doing so. I would generally like to avoid this but will do it if it is the only way out.
    Again, thanks.

Sorry for the novel.

2. twofaze

twofaze H.N.I.C.

what browser are you using??

try Mozilla Firefox or Opera.........

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

use version 1.3 of spybot search and destroy, make sure you update it because there was an update 2 or 3 days ago, then use the immunize function, it automatically blocks 2000 or so things from becoming a problem.

4. trez157

So I moved over to FireFox. Thanks guys, I really like this browser. Anything nifty I should know about it?

5. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Boot into safe mode and run Ad-ware and Spybot again.
    Make sure you've had them both check for updates.
    Also try CWShredder, you can get it at majorgeeks.com

Go into Tools->Internet Options->Security->Custom Level
    Set all the options for ActiveX controls to Prompt, but for the last 2 which can be set to Enable
    Then lower down: Installation of desktop items -> Prompt
    Now near the bottom: Allow paste operations via script -> Prompt

You'll get more screens nagging you about crap, but it also helps keep the crap you don't know out.

Also try installing SpywareBlaster it's free but for the auto-update, but you can manually update.
    As far as I know, you only need to run it once and not all the time.

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

If the stuff keeps coming back, check add/remove programs for anything suspicious. If you can't uninstall it from there (if there is anything), Google is your best friend for looking these programs up and finding out how to uninsall them.

HTH

7. trez157

I appreciate the help guys. Believe me, I tried gogle and the safe mode suggestions, but there must be a hidden file somewhere that I can't locate. FireFox is cool as hell though. Google helped a little, but still kept getting my start page hijacked.

8. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

And you did make sure to check for updates to ad-aware and spybot before you scanned. I don't mean using a web browser to go the site and look, I mean use the Check For Updates feature in both.
    This will update the definitions, much like what an anti-virus program needs to do from time to time. And speaking of anti-virus, might be worth updating and scanning with that too....it surely can't hurt.

9. trez157

werd, thats the first thing I did before I scanned all of it.