Advise me, Computer gods!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Godspeed, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

So I'm a freshly minted college grad with a degree is business and I currently have a job (banking) but I'm wanting to broaden my horizons and learn new things. I've never really been a tech-head or anything but I think computers, programming, just technology in general is interesting and I would like to work in this field somehow.

I'm not completely sold on going back to school to do computer science/ elec. engineering just yet. I thought instead I could work on getting certifications and trying to get an entry-level job and getting experience. I have some experience in a technology business as I built/wired control panels for a few years while in school. Don't know if thats worth anything or not. Guess it depends on what direction I want to take.

I was wondering what you guys thought about all that. like i said i'm an utter n00b when it comes to the lingo/jargon of computers, programming, etc. but i was hoping to get some general advice like "If you want to do computers you should go this route." OR "Get this cert./ take this class and go this route." OR "Stay away from our jobs fagg0t!!!!1 Ur 2 stoopid 4 computerz!"

2. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

certificates are worthless, safe your money.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

dot.

Certificates only matter after you've gotten a CS/IS degree and/or several years of experience.

4. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

unless you have connections, now is not the time to get your foot in the door to computers.

Competition is fierce and there are plenty of experienced candidates out there, some who are willing to work at a much lower rate.

I've been interviewing for the open positions here and the desperation I hear from some is just disheartening at times...

I would just make the best of what you got.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

And people tell me I should be interviewing for new jobs. Your assessment is pretty much what I figured out for myself.

6. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

I guess this can be said for every field whether it's computers, law or picking-up garbage. At least now I know to not waste my time going for certificates. I'll just go the school route later on.