Advice/Process needed.

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by deadmeat, Jul 31, 2008.

1. deadmeat

deadmeat Active Member

I just picked up the 3M wet/dry papers, the compound, and the machine polish as well as the tech wax last night.

I'm OK with my PC, pretty much OK with my rotary if I keep the speed down and I use the foam only.

This is most of the products I have and am willing to use on this project:
    [​IMG]
    This is the project:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking Wash, and clay to see if that accomplishes anything. Then step up to the 3M machine polish and then the 3M compound if I have to. I'm looking to get rid of all the oxidation, and then see how scratched up the vehicle really is. Whatever level of polish ends up taking off the oxidation and about 75-70% of the blems, I figure I'll work my way back to the machine polish or Megs 82, then the polymer sealant, and top with the Tech Wax.

The owner wants to see it nice, just doesn't know where to begin - was kind of oxidized when he bought it and didn't really know where to begin. He's not looking for Scottwax finish on this, but if I can accomplish it on most of the vehicle I'll be happy. I'm going to end up popping out all the lenses and lights and touching those up on my bench buffer and so I can get into the nooks and crannies.

Any suggestion is appreciated. Also, if anyone knows where I can get above 2500 grit papers around Long Beach, please let me know.

And yes, the hood is a different color. I'm going to have a buddy respray it eventually.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I'd start with Meguiars #83, it is a very effective oxidation remover and the "trade secret" oils really work well on single stage paint. The paint should be pretty soft so #83 is about as aggressive as you should need. I'd go over the whole Jeep once with it and then clay. The reason being all that oxidation will do nothing but clog up and ruin the clay bar. After claying, go over it again with #83 and then with #82 and seal with #21.

3. deadmeat

deadmeat Active Member

Thanks. Much appreciated.