Advice please

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by GSPFAN, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

Hi everyone, I am a 25 year old male. 6 feet tall and sitting at 205lbs on average. My whole life I have been very athletic playing sports up through the collegiate level. However, before college was over my girlfriend, now wife got pregnant and activities have slowly declined since. I usually ran around at 175-180 but I was a skinny, not scrawny guy. Decent shape but no noticable definition. Anyhow, I have been beating myself up month after month as I look in the mirror and feel worse and worse as the stomach grows more then anything else. I know self pitty is worthless if you never do something about it but now I am.
    I joined a 24 hour fitness place and plan to work out at night once our son falls asleep around 9pm and my wife is doing her things she wants to get done, but I have heard working out at night is not a good idea, is that true?

I think 205 is an ok weight, however I think 205 muscular and 205 fat must be 2 different appearances, am I right?

What recommendations might any of you have some a guy that is serious now but doesn't have 3 hours a day to work out? I hate running so I like that the gym has ellipticals and treadmills. I don't want to get huge, I just want to look good for my wife, a little pack in the stomach and some arms, shoulders, and avoid looking unpreportioned lol.

My diet has always been my downfall, 2-3 soda's a day. Wake up to junk cereal or a candy bar and some milk, late eater, dinner consists of anything quick.

I know some of the obviouses but maybe there are some good recommedations of resources out there to help me put a plan together. Also if I wanted to get down to 190 weight in decent looking shape, (meaning get rid of my minor man boobs and flabby love handles and arms) what is a realistic goal date 3 months? 8 months? 12 months?

Thanks for all your help everyone, and please don't reply if you are not serious I don't feel like reading childish posts.

2. Layman

Layman New Member

Drop soda alltogether. After a month or so, you won't want it anyhow.

Switch to something healthy like oatmeal in the morning. You're not a kid anymore - you don't need frosted flakes or a candy bar. Grow up and set a good example for your kid.

Start lifting weights. Build some muscle to fill yourself out. You can lose weight all you want, but unless you build some muscle, you'll never look good.

3. Kotu

Kotu OT Supporter

Nothing wrong with working out at night.

www.fitday.com

Count your calories. If you are in a 500 calorie deficit everday, that's one pound a week. You can easily drop those 15 pound in 3 months if you put some effort.

4. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

First thing you have to do is get your diet in check. No more junk food, if you drink soda then switch to diet only. You should have a quality protein source with every meal (chicken, lean beef, turkey, eggs, fish, dairy, protein powder). Switch your milk to Carb Countdown. The bulk of your carbohydrates should come from fibrous vegetables and fruit, stay away from bread, most cereals (bran cereals are okay) and refined carbs. I'd also suggest getting some fish oil capsules from Wal Mart, Sam's Club or Costco, and take 9 per day.

Start lifting weights for sure. I would start out with a full-body routine, 3 times per week, doing 1 or 2 sets per exercise. (From Lyle McDonald) An example would be:

Leg press
    Calf raise
    Leg curl
    Bench press
    Seated Row
    Shoulder press
    Lat Pulldown
    Triceps pushdown
    Biceps curl
    Crunch
    Low back extension

After you're done lifting weights, either do the elliptical or walk on the treadmill at an incline for 20-30 mins.

5. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

Thanks for all the useful info I will follow what I see on this.

However, can anyone please explain what Fish Oil Capsuls are good for, and do I need to be drinking a certain amount of water for a specific reason if anything?

Cease, what are you referring to when you say to switch from Milk to Carb Countdown?

6. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Nothing wrong at all with working out at night.
    My brother who has three kids does the same...waits until they go to bed before he heads over to the gym. Keeps it to an hour to an hour and a half max.

7. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Fish oil capsules would give you omega-3 fats which are lacking in our normal diet. There are plenty of benefits to get from omega-3 fats and helping weight loss is one of them.

8. Ceaze

Carb Countdown is low carb milk. Get the 2% not the fat free though.

Fish oil has more benefits than i can list, but a few are:
    - loss of body fat
    - improved insulin sensitivity (which means more of the calories you eat will end up going to muscle instead of fat)
    - improved cholesterol and triglycerides
    - reduce inflammation

9. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

Where do I get this Carb Countdown Milk?

10. Ceaze

at the grocery store :hsugh: next to the regular milk

11. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

never seen that here in minnesota, heck I used to work in a grocery store a few years back lol. I will check though and if anything I am sure they have an internet site for a map of where they stock to see if it is close <shrug>

12. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.