Advice Please: Cheapest/Most powerful 'newegg' machine?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Capt. Fantastic, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Hey,

I'm considering upgrading an old Win 95 DELL machine. I'm wondering if I could keep all the components (hds, vid card, burners, etc) and simply replace the motherboard/chip/memory.

Is this possible? Or will I run into compatability problems?

And which would be the cheapest and best combination of those elements available at newegg? It doesn't have to be THE BEST just decent. How much should I expect to spend?

TIA

www.newegg.com

:wavey:

2. BTW- The original machine was/is a Dell Dimension XPS P200s.

:hsugh:

3. Also, if that is not an option perhaps I could upgrade my DELL 8250 Pentium 4 2.4ghz and 512 PC1066.

Could I put the 8250 board, chip and memory into the old DELL Dimension P200s and then Upgrade the 8250?

Please help!

Thanks much.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no, neither option is viable. Your hd is ata-33, which is ungodly slow.

build one decent system from the ground up.

5. I upgraded the hd to a 20 gig 7200 rpm a couple years back. Is it still not a viable option? I'm not looking to spend a ton as my primary machine is fine. I use the xps p200s only to surf the net for the most part.

And if it not a viable option how much should I expect to spend on a new machine built from the ground up? It doesn't have to be cutting edge just decent.

Thanks for reponding.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I'd do an Intel 320 w/Intel mobo (maybe an D865PERLL) and 1GB of Dual Channel memory (1GB Corsair DDR-400 Kit (2x512MB)) Keep the hdd if you want, but it's either an ata33 or ata66 which is slower than anything new out today.

7. Thank You for responding. Very much appreciate the advice. I've got an extra WD 120 gb hd that I could drop in the other machine if need be. I've already got a 250 internal and 160 external in my 8250.

Thanks again.