WEB Advice on this site?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 3.0, Jul 22, 2008.

1. 3.0

3.0 New Member

www.HappySqueeze.com

I just started it up last Wednesday and it already has over 180,000 unique visitors. I'd like some real feedback from the smart people in The Webmaster Lab here. Tell me what you like and don't like so I can improve the site further. :wiggle:

2. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

pretty nice traffic...are they sticking around though? Are you just submitting it to social sites like stumbleupon and such?

Not much to comment on as the concept it pretty obvious. Those types of sites usually do really well on stumbleupon as long as there is good funny content.

One way to try to get people to stick around and come back is to make it more interactive...or at least highlight that aspect. Since it's just blog post maybe make it real easy to see the comment link and make it part of the site...like highlight the aspect. Ask people to submit the best "caption" for the images being posted. Might need to start out and do it yourself with alter-egos since no one ever wants to be the first on new sites but if you have good funny images and people see other people joining in you should be able to get a good amount of return traffic.

3. 3.0

3.0 New Member

Thanks for actually giving me true feedback with your thoughts and not bashing me. I have not submitted it StumbleUpon, but have to Reddit. I assume StubleUpon is better in your eyes. And only a few are sticking around, and that is a nice idea with making it more interactive.

4. nashstradamus

nashstradamus New Member

so u just took some funny pictures, put them on a web site, submitted to redditt, and hit 180k in one week?

5. 3.0

3.0 New Member

For the most part, yes. There is other work, but pretty much..

6. Ender0910

Ender0910 woot!

Do you have any original content?

I see so many of these kinds of sites submitted to reddit/digg/etc. They just repost other people's pictures in an endless loop. Feels pretty dirty to me. But hey, I guess it gets voted up and you get ad impressions so to each his own.

7. Comtrad

Comtrad Guest

There isn't really any other work. That's what you did. You took a simple template for wordpress and added pictures you found.

Nothing wrong with that of course, but that really is all there is to it.

As for the site itself, I don't like the look. I think a brighter color would imply "happiness" better, and you definitely need a logo/header.

The google ads should be on the right hand side where the ebay stuff is, and move the ebay to the left site. Then throw up some ads on the header and footer, and maybe off to the right of the pictures. Take the ads off from over/under the pics. It makes it look really bad.

Reddit is good for quick traffic, but stumble is good for overall. Not sure why many people would come back to it though as there are TONS of sites exactly like yours.

Anyway that's my $.02

8. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

that bird thing is fucked up.

9. 3.0

3.0 New Member

'Update'

I took an hour or two and took some of you're advice. I took down the Google Ads and and working on getting WigetBucks up. (Probably will make it a combination of another ad company along with WigetBuck). I am also looking for someone who can produce a new header (will pay) and someone who can help me fix the comment problem I am having. (Will pay for that also) The problem is that user cannot post a comment if they'd like. I know the problem lies in the theme editor.

Post if you have anymore advice :wiggle:

10. trev.the.enemy

trev.the.enemy New Member

Getting internal server error when trying to view posts.. :o

Your site needs to be SEO'd better.

The header definitely needs fixed.

I'd make the theme more lively. Perhaps light blues. :dunno:

WidgetBucks sucked for me.. don't think it'd do well on a humor site either. :o

Hit me up for the SEO thing, though.. if you want.

11. Browning

Browning Active Member

widgetbucks ftl

12. Style

Style Boioioioioioioioing

he said 180K unique since last Wednesday :mamoru:

13. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

widgetbucks blows

14. trev.the.enemy

trev.the.enemy New Member

it's very possible with reddit. :mamoru: