A&P Advice on these photos....

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by spahndirge, Jun 16, 2009.

1. spahndirge

spahndirge Scumbag Member

I'm developign a web site for my parents, they own a Bed & Breakfast. Photogaphy wise, the house is full of loads of little trinkets that my parents love but look horrible when trying to take decent photos. So I tried my best with my 430ex and 40d, but I just don't like many of them.

I'm trying to crop them, but all I seem to do is crop way too much because most photos look way too busy. I can go back and re-shoot but it's a pain because of taking stuff out of all the rooms and moving them back. Here's some of the photos (straight off camera), no PP done on them, advice on cropping, PP, composition, etc. much appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's them, I don't really like them, but maybe you guys can see what I'm doing wrong.....

2. The Great Deceiver

The Great Deceiver 21st Century Schizoid Man

2. Horizon has to be horizontal
    3. Take shots only slightly tilted from a one point perspective, ie a 2 point perspective with one vanishing point in the frame, and one a little bit far (outside the frame)

3. spahndirge

1 - 12mm on 40D (19mm), if I go any wider, I'll be taking in a big, dark walnut wardrobe that ruins it.

2 - Tripod up against wall, small room, will be corrected in PP.

3 - ?? Where would you place the camera in that room? There's very little room for maneuver.

4. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

They're really not that bad. A little burning in around some of the darker wood surfaces/bed covers would help to brighten them up. Make sure your horizon lines are straight.

5. spahndirge

Point noted.

Here are some final ones, C&C?

[​IMG]

2 -
    [​IMG]

3 -
    [​IMG]

4 -
    [​IMG]

5-
    [​IMG]

6 -
    [​IMG]

7 -
    [​IMG]

6. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

looks good to me. I'm sure your parents will love them. If you had some additional light to add some highlights and bright spots, it would help break up the light pattern but these look good.

7. HighTachPres

HighTachPres New Member

they work beautifully
    i'd go there :wiggle:

8. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

For website use, brighter is better, but don't wash out the highlights too much. If you can't get much wider, look into making a small pano (2-3 shots max) with some decent amount of overlap.

Overall, these are some great shots for general use and should do just fine for what people are looking for.

9. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Finals look good - well done.

10. Asherman

Asherman New Member

Your second set will probably make everyone happy.

Aside from the photography, I'd like to suggest that your parents rehang all of the pictures in their rooms. In each photo the art is hung high on the walls, too high. As a rule of thumb, the "proper" height is generally where the absolute center of the art work is at eye-level. Large pieces do tend to be hung higher. Small art on large walls often looks like postage stamps, and the audience tend to lose the piece in the larger scene. The smaller pieces invite their audience to move in close to admire the detail. When these pieces are hung so high, all they do is direct the visual attention upward to the ceiling. Sooooo, consider lowering where things are hung and/or replace some of those smaller works with larger scale pieces that are in better proportion to the room.