Advice on polishing for a beginner

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by redfred18t, Apr 26, 2009.

1. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

Hey everyone, I'm thinking of picking up a porter cable 7424 and what I'm having difficulty with is trying to find the material to polish.

I've done some research and it looks like my vw paint is a bitch to work with (2001 jetta, bright green pearl). It is swirly and needs some work. In the 5 years I've owned it, its never had a professional detail. Anyways, what would you guys recommend?

Using my research, I've come up with menzerna super intensive polish and their nanopolish to finish it up. Should I use a glaze? Should I look into some other setup for doing my vw?

Also, another random question, I picked up some DP wheel glaze for my wheels. Should I just stick with just one coat of that, or add multiple coats or add in a sealer or something? The wheels have painted centers with polished aluminum lips that are uncoated.

Finally, where would be a good place to buy the PC. Apparently autogeek doesnt have any in stock

2. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

Also, someone recommended using 4" pads instead of the normal 6" because its easier to work the vw paint

3. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I'd wait on picking up the 7424 until the new XP model comes out; from what I've seen and heard it should be quite the beast compared to the original.

4. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

Yeah thats the plan. Theres at least one place in CT that will have that PC when it comes out, and they only charge 110 so I'll just swing down and grab one.

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Honestly, I'd pay someone with rotary skills to get your paint into shape, then get the PC7424xx to maintain it.

If you want to do it yourself, than Meguiars #105 will be a mandatory 1st step. The new version is DA buffer compatible, although I've had excellent results using the original version with my G110.

6. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

ya, i'm kind of in the same boat. About to buy my first house which means i'll finally have a garage (woot woot). My car is only two years old. I've been using ONR and OCW and really like them so i figured i'd give Optimum's polish a shot.

The problem i'm having is figuring out how aggressive to be since the car is only two years old. The paint is in decent shape accept for a few places where the local feral cats (dont even get me started on those motherfuckers) have slid their muddy ass paws down the paint and left nice streaking marks. They dont looks like scratches though, so i 'spose thats good.

If i understand correctly, the compound is more aggressive than the polish. How aggressive do you guys think i need to be on the cat marks?

7. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Coastal Tool in Hartford on New Park carries the PC and Lake Country pads too, pickup M105 in E. Hartford at ABSAP on Main St.

And then get the fuck back on 91N, Masshole.

8. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Absolutely no way to know without having the car in front of me. Start with the polish and a polishing pad and go up as needed in aggressiveness. Go to the compound first, then to a cutting pad if needed.

9. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

600 grit and spray some paint that doesn't suck ass over it

10. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

Thanks for the advice dude. :bigthumb:

11. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

Well I'm going to see what I can accomplish. I think I've decided on getting megs 105, optimum compound/polish, and some menzerna po85rd. I'm going to see how far I can get with the optimum stuff (since it dusts little and is user friendly, from what I've heard) and work to meguiars if necessary. If this doesn't get the job done, I'll try to find a good detailer to clean it up. I think Executive (i think) is supposed to be good in this area

shut your whore mouth. Thats actually where I was going to go (coastal tool) but maybe I'll check out ABSAP to save on shipping. I've gotta find out when coastal is getting the xp. edit: hey your on MD right?

2nd edit: oh snap, theres an absap in springfield. NICE

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  12. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

ABSAP is good to me, cheaper than Autogeek in every way. Limited to mainly 3M & Meguiars, but full product lines. And you can talk them down if you're buying a bunch.

Yes I'm on MD, but don't visit often- very nice wholesome people over there nonetheless.