TAT advice on picking a shop.

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by you know me, Jan 29, 2006.

1. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

Since I've posted last ( see here I've narrowed it down to two different shops.

One shop is an all custom shop and they had no art laying around, but I can't remember if they had any work on skin up to view, they said the price is $200 an hour but for what I want it would be around $100-150 for the lion head (blue/white) [​IMG]
    ( there is a better pic at the top left of this page http://www.nittanyoutlet.com/aid-15-cid-441-pid-3111-gs-46-gp-3-detail.htm )

I got a good feeling from the guy I talked to about the work. He asked me if I would want to get the white ink put into my skin and I said I didn't know. I'm pale and when I'm outside the tattoo would be covered up 99% of the time. My question now is should I get the white put in or leave it skin tone? If it won't take I don't see the point of having it put in.

The second place had a several books of "flash art" laying around. They didn't have any on skin art laying around either. Their rate is around $100/hr and what I want will be around $80-95. I had a good feeling from him too and my friend got her foot done there and it looked good. But from what I understand he doesn't have the best reputation among the locals here. I looked around the shop and it seemed clean and well kept but I'm a noob at this so I'm not exactly sure what to look for. Same question about the white ink here, in or no.

I'm not sure of which place to go to so I'm looking for advice (I know ti's probably hard to give shop advice over the net but I'm hoping for general things to look for when looking at a shop to pick. Is it worth it to pay a bit more at the custom shop or isn't it that big of a deal? What I'm looking for isn't that complicated or anything. Thanks for all your help and once I get it done I'll post pics.

2. joy division

joy division New Member

I would chose the first one based on portfolios alone.

You mentioned nothing about that?? Shops with no flash usually just have portfolios, look through them and see the work. Don't bother with anything but portfolios.

3. you know me

I didn't really spend a bunch of time there, I was just getting prices so I know what I need to take in cash with me when I go. Next time I go I'm going to spend more time looking at the work they did.

4. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

Always ask for portfolios first. Check out their fresh AND finished work. If you don't see any pictures of finished work then ask if they have any. Return customers are always willing to let artists take pics of their work. If they don't have any finished pics then thats usually a good sign that customers aren't returning there.

As for white pigment, I would not get it. I have a zombie on my forearm and we did her eyes in solid white. I had to have them done a few times for it to really stand out and even then after a few months it turned a creamy tone.

5. joy division

joy division New Member

I can't even think of walking into a tattoo shop without my first thought being let me look at portfolios. If they don't have any or respond strangely I just walk out.

6. you know me

I've heard people talk about the importance of portfolios before so I did know to look for them. My purpose in going this time was to see how I felt in the shop/with the people there and to get prices. I'm glad I did that because one of the shops I talked to a secretary and just didn't get a good feeling. They had a bunch of bin of flash art (most of the waiting area was flash art) and they just didn't seem to be all that friendly. The first place I talked to was great (the custom shop) and the third place seemed good also. For some reason I'm leaning toward the custom shop but I have seen work that the third place did and it looked good. A fellow OTer had work done there, unfortunitly she moved so she can't help me right now. None of my friends have any work done so they aren't of any help to me

If both shops have good portfolios which one would be better to go to, the custom shop or the shop with the flash art? Would it be better to spend almost twice the price at the first shop?

7. joy division

joy division New Member

yeah if they are dicks/unprofessional/unclean just walk out too...

Your tattoo is not going to be remotely intricate or difficult to do, if both shops do great work just go to the cheaper one...later on down the line when you need a custom large detailed piece I'd pick whoevers style you like the most, usually it will be at the all custom place but thats not always the case.

Do you have websites for either place? $200 an hour is kind of steep...usually at those prices they are either in a silly high rent area or have some really amazing shit.

8. you know me

I dont' think that any of them have sites, or atleast sites that I can find. It turns out there are 5 shops in town so I'm going to check out the other two this week maybe today.

9. joy division

joy division New Member

cool, where are you at now again?

10. you know me

State College aka PSU

11. you know me

Art of the Ages Inc
    Elite Tattooing by Eric Von-Dar
    Moonlite Tattoo (too far out)
    Quality Tattooing
    Totem Tattoo

Are the shops in town

12. you know me

what is considered a good tip for the artist? $10?

13. joy division

joy division New Member

I tip 10% at least...usually 20%.

14. you know me

thanks. This is much better then my other thread in the main forum....I'm starting to think that was a bad idea

15. willisJ

willisJ what u talkin bout?

is tattoo marks still open in town??

in the alley behind mclanahans.. i never had any tattoo's done there, but got a couple piercings thru them.. could be another place to check out. the couple tattoo places on beaver always looked shady to me (from the outside at least)

16. you know me

:eek3:

The place behind mclanahans is the second place I'm looking at. I looked at "totem Tatto" on beaver and didn't get a good feeling. The first place is next to the uni-mart and mad hatters