MIL Advice on Navy Rate

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dferriola, Sep 30, 2007.

1. dferriola

dferriola New Member

I just recently swore into DEP for the navy, my intentions were to sign HM but all the slots were filled for females in the next 8 months. So I swore in as MA (second choice) and waiting to see if an HM rate opens up. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice to either stick to my guns till I get HM or is MA a good rate to get into. Thanks.

2. Jbeanz

Jbeanz OT Supporter

I'm a Marine , but if it was me id hold out for HM , then you can go FMF and be a cool sailor and work with Marines. I'm biased obviously but o well.

3. dferriola

dferriola New Member

Yea thats part of the reason I wanted corpsman. But as a woman im unsure about my chances to get into FMF.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  4. Jbeanz

Jbeanz OT Supporter

You have a chance the only thing a male has over you is the ability to get into a grunt unit.

5. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

6. dferriola

dferriola New Member

7. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

Don't base your decision on one person's experience of course, but there's a huge variety of jobs in the navy. Does anything else interest you besides corpsman? Unless you're looking to become a cop or do something in law enforcement, I don't know what MA could do for you on the outside (assuming you don't plan to make it a career). If you're planning on doing 4 and getting out I would do something technical so at least you have all those schools and training under your belt. You have to be in rate for 2 years before you can cross rate, so consider that before you choose "whatever" just to get in.

8. dferriola

dferriola New Member

I'm currently in DEP and would be changing it when it opens but I hear positive and negative things regarding both HM and MA, but i have an equal interest in both medical and law fields for after I leave the navy. I did a year of college prior to joining and would like to continue during or when I'm done. I'm justing looking for opinions before I go in as MA, or just leave DEP later because of the closed rate of HM for females. Sorry if I seem confusing.

9. OkiDiver

OkiDiver New Member

I've never met a corpsman that went to the Marine side that didn't love it. You'll get a lot of respect from all kinds of people just for being there, have a lot of flexibility in the different kinds of units you work with and have a lot of opportunities for different types of training.

10. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Why MA? If you could explain a bit what you think you'll be doing, or what you've been told it might shed some light. Cause you might think it's all law enforcement cop type stuff, when in reality, especially on ships, its babysitting & paperwork on people who are not mature enough to take care of themselves.

11. dferriola

dferriola New Member

I actually made MA my second choice because of the paper work involved. Even if it is tedious my interests lie in how law works. I am sorry for the confusion when i said i have a general interest in law, i meant more on the lines of paralegal/investigating than cop. I did not choose ma because I thought Id be a badass kicking down doors and punching babies in the face. HM was my first choice, but I created this thread to hear opinions of both rates before I head out to MA or stick to my original plan of HM or bust.

12. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

if I remember correctly DEPing in you're locking into what you're doing because you should already have a prospective ship date. What you should've done is tell them you won't sign anything promising a ship date until they can promise you the rating you want.

Corpsman is a very tough field to get into, but also a really good one.

13. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Ya it's one of those fields if you play your cards right (and do more than one enlistment) you can get A LOT of medical certs and stuff out of the way that would take a lot of time & $$ out in the real world (assuming you'd want to continue being in the medical field on the outside). As for MA, ships or IA. As time goes on, all base security is switching over to civilians playing cops. MAs will still be required for ships, but their job is doing restricted musters, and filling out incident reports when someones wallet is stolen. They're not even in charge of the ships self defense force we have onboard. They dont investigate anything either, thats NCIS's job. I agree LN would be better for a more paperwork job.

14. Accord

Accord New Member

I see female Corpsman all the time here in the fleet, hell it was a female Corpsman who always went with us on the humps at SOI, she was a beast.

15. someonenew

yes I'm well aware that you can get out of DEP. I'm a staunch advocate of the fact that you are not in the military until you've sworn in at Boot Camp unlike some of the other dipshits who seem to think that DEP means you're active and can run around saying "I'm in the Navy now":ugh:.

:o

what I said though was that your DEP contract usually has a ship date associated with it, and that ship date is based upon a specific rating. They aren't going to just rate change you because you want to, you're going to have to go through the entire process again including a new DEP contract for the new rating.

16. someonenew

IDC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>*

:o

but pharmacuetical tech will be:bowdown:, you won't get the rank very fast, but god damn is it a useful field when you get out:o.

17. someonenew

everyone says the Recruiter lied...I feel it's actually more that the recruit didn't know what to ask:o.

18. dferriola

dferriola New Member

Yea when I left MEPS I made sure to let them now that i will not become navy and leave DEP unless I left as HM. I scored a 75 but i have no idea what my GT line score was.

19. someonenew

if you singed a DEP deal you should have a ship date

you're basically going to have to keep trying to push it. What you need to do is retake the ASVAB and go through it again. You can take the ASVAB once every 30 days iirc. Do not let them force you into leaving or taking anything you don't want.

20. dferriola

dferriola New Member

Right now as a female It's extremely difficult to even get a spot in the field as a female let alone getting FMF, that would be the ideal outcome for me but that doesnt change the chances of it are close to none.

21. dferriola

dferriola New Member

I made my ship date May 28 so i could sit in DEP for a long time. Yea I wanted to retake the asvab because of a "technical difficulty" during the test that left me with less time on the MK section. I asked my recruiter to retake it but he said i was crazy for doing so, if he doesnt allow it should I speak to another recruiter?

22. someonenew

yes, you can legally retake the ASVAB as many times as you want to achieve the score you want. I've seen people take the ASVAB at least 6 times in attempt to just get the 40 required to sign up:rofl:

Find out what the minimums are for the rating you want, and don't give up until you've satisfied them. If your recruiter won't let you retake it then talk to his supervisor because all he views you as right now is his quota number, and you don't want to be just another number.

23. dferriola

dferriola New Member

Yea my second choice was MA, the recruiter didnt win me over in that part.

24. dferriola

dferriola New Member

25. someonenew

no, you haven't said anything being "In the Navy now" there is another fag piece of shit on here who seems to think he's in the Navy now because he signed a DEP contract.

Trust me, I don't pull punches, if you manage to piss me off I don't mince words:o.