SRS advice on my job

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DigiCrime, Dec 7, 2006.

1. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

On sunday i logged in for work around noon and i was getting ready to delete some stuff and made a boo boo and I mean big one. This type of oops usually carries a termination but I havent been fired yet. When I did it no one knew about it and technically no one would have known but I emailed my boss and told him the truth anyway, other tech told me he was pissed and I told another tech that Im out of a job probably he said its iffy. I started in May 2003 still going today I think by now if he wanted me fired he would have by now but I know hes the type "let em sweat it out" to and yes I am sweating it out because now would be the worst time if ever to get fired. I emailed him on monday morning to say I was sorry it was an accident please forgive me, he said later the day that he would talk to me on tuesday that he was to hungover to speak about it at the moment.

Tommorrow will be thursday hes been online all day today and was yesterday but hasnt spoken to me about anything. Myself Ive gone on as if nothing is wrong which there isnt but im still worried on going to loose my job. My question is should I talk to him say hey hows it going how are you shit like that? Or leave it alone? im contracted, remote file my own taxes etc so i cant collect unemployment so their not loosing anything by getting rid of me that i know of, but im good at what I do so that might be why he hasnt canned me :hsd:

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Look you didn't do it on purpose, your a human being an make mistakes like everybody else. What matters the most is that you forgive yourself. You don't have to worry about it, a boss will fire you if he wants anyway regardless if your doing a good or bad job. You shouldn't think that your boss is out to fire you. Relax breathe deep, just try not to make any capital mistakes in the future.

3. teo

teo . => ? => !

Stop by his desk and ask when you can meet to discuss it.

4. johan

johan Active Member

You may or may not be terminated, it depends on the kind of man your boss is.

I gotta tell you however, if you were one of my direct reports, you just saved your ass by not hiding it and coming clean immediately.

Everyone makes mistakes, I can accept that. What I do not tolerate is a little weasel that screws up and then hides it.

If your boss is a stand up man, he'll realize that, have a talk with you about being more careful and let it stand at that.

I don't know what you did, but if it was deleting stuff you shouldn't have...I'd say the guy in more trouble is whoever was supposed to be handling the backups.

For now, don't sweat it too much. Not much you can do anyways.
    At your first opportunity (asap) ask for a meeting with your boss, and present yourself in person. Explain it.

Chances are you'll probably be ok. If he's such an ass that he sacks you..and yeah some guys are jerks like that...you might still be able to appeal over his head. His boss, or HR dept if your company is big enough.

That's just a stopgap to collect a few last paychecks while you look for another job.

But let's not worry yet, just assume for now that eveyting gon be irey.

5. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

I agree, owning up to it probably saved your job.

We all do make mistakes, it's taking action/responibility and rectifying it that make us who we are.

You're on contract so they may not renew it.. unless you're on some sort of indefinate contract. Thing is, sometimes, the hassle of firing someone isn't worth it over something that was a legit mistake. Contracts work a little differently, but the hassle of re-training someone and firing someone who made one mistake is just not a good cost measure. Most company's have comprehensive guidelines for termination, but again, contracting kinda throws that out.

I don't know what you deleted but by fessing up to it, I wouldn't fire you. Would I be pissed? probably, but mistakes can be fixed, bad people usually cannot be fixed, and you don't sound like a bad guy.

6. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Well to update my own thread, I was let go today. He said he was going to let me go next year after the holidays anyway due to financial reasons because I guess he couldnt afford me no more. This is from his email

"In addition, completely unrelated to your performance, sales have been down this last little bit, and the business is at a point now where it has to start cutting some costs in order to stay afloat. From a financial standpoint it seemed like you had a lot of overlap with other staff, and it would be a good place to cut back on the hours paid out each month."

However this is what he offered me.

"This unfortunate accident kind of sped up the time line a bit though which is really a shame, as I hate doing this to you before Christmas. I’d like you to submit severance hours for the next 4 weeks though, and I will pay you the 4 weeks severance pay. This will get you through the holidays at least, and hopefully give you some time to find another position. I’m definitely willing to be a good reference for you and would just tell people that you were let go for financial reasons."

So we'll see how it goes if he owns up to it actually then thatll get me thru although I dont get it, having financial problems how do you give severance? Guess this is a short term effect to avoid the long term? Either way it sucked.. my gma has terminal cancer and were close to sad situation that were all going thru and lose my job on top of it.

Shit happens

7. johan

johan Active Member

Take him up on that offer, and find another job. And you still did the right thing in coming clean.

Remember that business may pick up again, he might offer you another contract in the future.

8. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

yeah, if he wanted to sack you outright, he would not have offered to give you 4 weeks severence, in fact.

9. Nucleartiger

Nucleartiger Clemson makes my nipples hard

Sorry to hear that and I hope everything is going well with your gma.

A couple things from your situation though.

1) That severance pay is probably not as much as your normal paycheck would have been

and

2) Once you do find a new position (hopefully quickly) that severance pay will go away.

10. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

my brother mentioned that to me that severance probably wont be the same as I got paid I didnt think to ask but I wont press for it. Kinda awkward having to sit around all day not have anything to do now. I kept myself busy just cause i cant stand to sit around and not do anything.

I worked remotely, when I got done with work I was out of the house cause after work I could care less about being on the computer. Im already ready to go out and get a job right now but I better calm down a bit, clear my head and get some exercise to lol I been sitting on my ass for a long time only time I got exercise is when I went out the door which was often and cleaning house.