Advice on hooking up computer to t.v.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Rocky6535, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Rocky6535

Rocky6535 Now, let me see you smile...

I just bought a new t.v. yesterday that has an S-Video input. I would like to save space in my apartment and use it as both a tv and a computer monitor (which was one of the reasons I chose the tv that I chose). My computer has S-Video output, and I connected it to the tv using an S-Video cable. It seems like it should work because I can see the initial boot up screen (which is dos I guess), but when windows starts up I get a jumbled up picture. Maybe the resolution is set too high? What does it take to connect a computer to a tv? I know it's possible because a buddy of mine did it a couple of years ago, but I forgot what he said he did to make it work.

Thanks for the help...

2. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

Assuming it is a dual out card, you need to use a monitor on the VGA or DVI connector to set the display to go to the s-video out only (Right click desktop > properties > settings). Is it a high definition TV? If not, it may not look as good as a monitor.

3. Rocky6535

Rocky6535 Now, let me see you smile...

I suspected that it might not look as good. I hope it's at least a decent picture, but if not then I'll just stick to the monitor that I have. I was hoping to sell that and save some space. I'll try your suggestion.

4. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

the bigger the TV, the crappier the picture quality will be, unless you get an HDTV that has DVI inputs.