MMA Advice on Getting started

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by apman0000, Sep 5, 2006.

1. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

ok, So heres' the quick run down if anyone is willing to give some advice.

I'm 30 years old and would like to get started fighting in local MMA events in Kansas city area

I still have some weight to drop and my cardio and flexibility must improve before i step in the ring for sure. my background

I wrestled in Jr high and High school
    I am a 2nd degree black belt in karate which I was in for 6 years as a teenager
    of course football etc but that doessn't apply much here

I haven't been in any kind of fight for almost a decade would I absolutely need to train for MMA before gettitng in the ring or would my wrestling and karate background be enough to give me a chance starting out? (i've been training on punching my bag and wrestling moves from high school. I wouldn't think of fighting until i was in good enough shape to wrestle, figure i'd be in good enough shape to hang at that point but i don't know the arm bars and shit so i might be screwed)

I look to train in MMA going forward but was curious if taking a shot out of the gate was crazy or maybe i should wait 6 months to train 1st.

I'd be a heavyweight and the technical skills don't look to figure in as heavy for the bigger guys, I've always been able to take a punch and I was a good wrestler back in the day and am sure I can get the feel of things pretty quick.

suggestions? and are any of you in the KC area and where do you train if you do?

thanks for any advice.

2. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

roger that, you don't think wrestling from the time I was like 6 years old in rec center wrestling to Sr. year high school wrestling and karate background is enough, is it the ju jitsu that's needed. I know i ain't gonna fight on pay per view or nothing but i don't want to get my arm ripped off either lol. damn jujitsu is expensive lol

ok anyone here from Kansas city area that trains in jujitsu and where and how much $ lol. I googled it but there are like 100 places that all talk shit about all the other places so who knows which is worth a damn or not....

striking i should be fine, wrestling i should be fine.

the jujitsu stuff i don't know shit that's for sure so is there anything specific to look for in a gym that trains jujitsu?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  3. HumungusMMA

HumungusMMA Guest

at some crap local shows you'd mostly be fighting local tough guys.

The problem for you is that the standard "local tough guy" skillset is being able to take a punch and give a punch back harder.

You'd be best off using your wrestling skills to parlay that into becoming a jiu-jitsu wrestler, and subbing all the local tough guys.

Don't immediately start training mixed, or you'll end up with a bunch of shitty skills. Just pick something and start training it really hard.

Nothing wrong with just wanted to try yourself out in a few local shows. 30 is pretty old, but as a weekend warrior you could be ok.

How big are you?

4. HumungusMMA

HumungusMMA Guest

Most amateur MMA guys have really bad jiu jitsu

5. xinster

xinster New Member

Get the BJJ training. You need to use your instinct to tell you whos a fraud, so good luck with that. I say BJJ because chances are there will be an MMA guy in there that you can befriend and have him give you very basic striking training. I doubt your karate will be sufficient striking training. But anyway, you can try to outwrestle them and figure it out from there.

I would train for 6 months legitamately at LEAST before ytou take an ammy fight. I don't know what shape your in, but w/e you start now you'll get your ass kicked.

6. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

I'm 6'3 320 currently, figure I got to get to 265 to be in the shape i was in in my teens. I lift 3 times a week always have.

I can't judge my MMA skills since i've never done it etc so judging from my wrestling I know I have to lose at least to 265 250 would be best, my cardio needs to improve, i can run 1 mile now must get to 3 miles (seriously how many 260+ pounders do you know running more than 3 miles? I ran 3 miles 3 times a week in high school and tore guys up pretty bad on the mat) before i'm comfy with my cardio.
    I know I can out wrestle 95% of the local guys in a heavy weight division regardless of 30 years old or 20 years old. I Was a pretty mean guy when i was young and could hit real hard and take a punch well but i haven't been in a fight for a decade so who knows now lol i might cry like a girl and curl up in a fetal position hehehe.
    I know to truly compete I'd need to train jujitsu and plan to especially after some responses i've gotten here and a few other places.
    I think i'll look for a jujitsu trainer while I get my cardio in order and hopefully by december i'll be ready to bang.
    if i get myself there i'll post pics lol

and seriously any advice much appreciated. especially if you have any knowledge on jujitsu trainers in Kansas or Missouri area

everyone is sounding pretty confident i need jujitsu and there probalby is a reason 100% of ya seem to think so lol

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  7. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

yeah i know i'm not exxactly young anymore but i really just want to see what it'll take to do it and see if i can do it on a local level midwest sort of thing, my goal isn't UFC or Pride fighting or anything, I'm a realist about this, I just want to get back into decent shape and prove i can still bang with most guys. (I'd run away from Fedor and beg him to not hurt me lol)

8. teep

teep New Member

You NEED bjj. As someone who started with wrestling I totally understand when guys are hesitant to make the transition to the submission game. Alot of guys just outright look down on it, but for MMA it's absolutely essential. As for your wrestling game...work alot of Greco. Do alot of pummeling, body locks, etc. Work your shots with striking too. Find yourself a good boxing/muay thai gym too if wherever you learn bjj doesn't offer it. Yeah you're not the youngest person getting into MMA, but take your time to train and really learn the game first. That's my suggestion. I mean...if the competition is reaaal shitty and you're confident you can just walk in there and whoop some ass and thats all you really want to do...go for it. Otherwise, get your conditioning in tip top shape and learn as much as you can.

9. xinster

xinster New Member

320, haha good luck with even finding your weight class. Put down the weights and pick up the jump rope. It was the smartest decision i ever made in my life. Used to lift for 2 years. Haven't lifted at ALL for 2 months straight. Sure i lost a lot of muscle, but aesthetics you wont be needing for mma!

10. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

nah man that's 1/2 of the reason i'm wanting to do this, i had a serious illness that I beat but blew up to 380 pounds and could barely walk around the block 6 months ago. My strength is about back but not there yet maxing at about 300 on the bench which sucks compared to pre illness, I can run a mile pretty well at this point but that's not enough either and i know that, 320 is still fat as hell but i've lost 60 and have no plans on stopping until 265 which is the cut off point for heavyweight in the kansas city MMA fights.

I figure 30 years old and almost dying (illness not related to weight, being sick and in bed caused the gain) was a good reason to re claim my life and see if I can hang with the youngsters still. I know conditioning and flexibility I'm still 4-6 months away with no doubt it will take at least that.
    as far as just banging away with someone I could always hold my own, wrestling I was pretty solid, not the greatest in the world, offered scholarship for football not wrestling but my wrestling was solid (12 years ago lol)

I agree I'll need to learn submissions, even if I'm not great at them just to know more about them so i can guard against them i could see as a huge +.

yall opened my eyes a bit, i was thinking with my wrestling I could go the take down mount and pound route but that won't do much good if somebody chokes the shit out of me lol.

11. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

and I think most BJJ instructors would be quite happy to have a 300 lb guy with wrestling experience walk in and say, "hey, I'd like to fight MMA, just for fun. Can you help?"

I know MY bjj instructor would.

12. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

seriously, i was worried most trainers would prefer smaller guys like 150-190 pound type guys.

damn it i wish i lived in a bigger MMA area so i could get some advice on where to train, guess i'll just start visiting gyms huh.

13. Maestro Nobones

werd.

ask the right questions. does anyone there fight actively, does/has the instructor fought, etc etc

14. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

I am about your size and have similar goals.

Two words Cardio and Flexibility.
    I previously had a blue belt in TKD and boxed quite alot. I really enjoy BJJ been doing it for 18months its tough getting guys our size and strength to grapple with though so concerntrate on technique rather then just muscling everything. Also learn Boxing so many MMA guys have such sloppy boxing.

15. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Don't be discouraged by getting the shit kicked out of you every day by guys literally half your size. Suck it up, sweat buckets every day, and work on technique. It'll be worth it to go in with zero ego and alot of work ethic.

An MMA gym would definitely be good for you. Takedown defense, kick defense, submission defense, how to even move around on the ground. What happens when a guy takes you down? Your gameplan sounds like it depends on you being bigger and taking down the other guy, but when it happens the other way will you know what to do? MMA gym ftw.

Good luck have fun. You'll get addicted fast if you last more than a week.

16. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

thanks for the advice guys.
    I know my wrestling is at par or better than most ( not including hard core pro's of course) due to being a pretty good high school wrestler and a average college wrestler but I sure recognize that does nothing for kick defense and submissions etc so i definately can stay humble with that sort of thing lol.

so basically check on how many active fighters a gym has etc, is there any hidden shit a guy should check with a gym, do they need any affiliations with any specific organizations etc I really have no idea about that sort of thing.

I for sure have about 55 pounds to drop and alot of flexibility and some cardio to take care of before i can do anyting, now i gotta find me a place to train

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  17. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

okay so i'm looking at a bunch of places trying to figure out where to train, here is a link to 1 of the top choices right now, close to my house and unlimited training for a little over $100, but not many classes offered really, is this normal or no compared to what yall see at your gyms?

oh and the equipment is about $250 at this place pads etc. cheaper to buy on your own i'm betting but for the basics what would ya suggest, don't care about getting the cheapest or the best, somewhere in the middle would be fine if ya know what i mean.

http://www.crawfordsmma.com/

18. Maestro Nobones

I think crawford's is where Omega from bullshido trains if I'm not mistaken

19. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

in an amateur event the skill level is not so high so you could technically get away with what you have. BUT there is a huge risk involved (i.e. you could have a bad matchup, or be put against a monster). The people who succeed at MMA are well rounded and don't have any huge weaknesses. For you it seems like submissions are it, and that can cost you the fight.

In my opinion, I would train jiu jitsu for a minimum of a year and then practice it with striking allowed to make sure you are ready for the real thing.

20. sugerbear

sugerbear New Member

I might get flamed for this but...

Most guys that fight local only train for 3 months before a show. That means no wrestling background or boxing. The truth is that many ppl that do mma never go anywhere and you shouldn't think that your going to be a star and going to be in the UFC in a year. You should start jits and get an idea of what to expect but for a local show just get some conditioning and have fun. You might get you asses kicked or you might not. The longer you wait the better but don't think you need to "wait" any time limit to fight. Just when u think you are ready go for it. Your not going to get killed.

21. HumungusMMA

HumungusMMA Guest

This guy's on the money. I think if you did nothing but conditioning/fitness plus BJJ for 3 months, while regaining that wrestling you had, you could probably take down and submit most guys at a local show.

Just make sure you're not gonna fight Mike Pyle

22. xinster

xinster New Member

The guys i train with who are part of our fight team have been trained mma for at least a year, some have wrestled for over 5 yrs up to community college before starting mma. There is nobody on our fight team that someone with 3, 4, 5, or 6 months of experience could even come close to beating. They all do local shows.

23. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

to sort of address the line about not being a star, i'm well aware of that, i'm 30 years old with no MMA experience so not expecting to fight on PPV in the UFC or anything lol.
    I'm a realist, I want to get myself back into shape (about 1/2 way there on conditioning and body weight) and get in a couple fights to see if I can or not.

I thank yall for your opinions on this, it's pretty close to 100% the same so it answers the question on needing the extra training lol. I'm not afraid to lose but I sure don't want someone to make me look like a fool so i'm not going to step into a cage until i feel like i can hold my own.

thanks for the insight

24. sugerbear

sugerbear New Member

Ya but time doesn't always mean quality. the quote that is commonly used is practice makes pefect but the truth is if u practice trash you and going to show trash. Meaning practice make perminate.

Im not saying not to wait longer but you shouldn't set a time limit. Thats like the ppl that say "ill start doing mma when I lose "X" pounds, or when i get in shape" they never come back. Just start where u are and move forward.

25. Kuet

Kuet New Member

what kinda karate did you take? sorry bro, if it wasnt kyokushin then really its gonna have little to no effect in the ring and you WILL get pwned. BAD.