A&P Advice on getting my foot in door?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by MattC, May 10, 2005.

1. MattC

MattC gotta love the prewar

Alright, so one of the things I really enjoy doing is taking pictures at concerts, but the majority of the time I have to be pretty stealthy b/c most of the shows I go to don't allow it. I'd like to be able to take pictures freely, and I realize that the only way to do that is to "work" for someone and have a press pass to the shows. I need experience though in order to even try getting some work, and I wanted to know what you guys thought of my plan, which is this:

There are a few clubs around town that get medium size national acts weekly. Specifically this club, http://www.headlinerscolumbia.com/
    If you look at their photo section, you can see that who ever takes pictures for them does a piss poor job. My idea was to contact them and ask them if we could work out a deal so that I could come in and take pictures of their bigger shows in return for the much needed practice and experience to help me land bigger things. All I'd ask for would be a free ticket in.

I figured I'd first send them an email telling them who I was and what I'd like to do. I'd also send them a link to some pictures I took with my old camera. (seen here).....I've got a 20d now.

So what do you guys think? Anyone with experience know what I should or shouldn't say that could help me out?

2. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

I thought this was going to be about your foot odor.

Telling someone you've got a 20D isn't going to impress them.

Make it clear what you can do for them and show them what you have done before, especially in this context. This is business. They expect results, and expectations get higher if you are getting paid.

Yadda yadda yadda

try talking to a local music magazine first

3. The_Eagle_Has_Landed

The_Eagle_Has_Landed New Member

hey go for what do you have to loose, but instead of the email(they probaby get a shitload) go in person and talk to the club owner, if you have good pick bring a portfolio.
    sound like a good plan to me

4. If you cant get good pics for your portfolio in a bar or club because they dont allow it. Set up a photoshoot with the band during one of their practices or whatever.

Most bands will be VERY Eger to pose for a camera any day of the week because they want as much publicity and exposure as possible.

5. MattC

I wasn't going to try to impress them simply by telling them I have a fancy camera. :hsugh: That would be pointless. The only reason I even mentioned it on the page of sample pics I have is so they would know I have the ablility to take more dynamic pictures now, compared to what I was limited to using beforehand.

I'm not looking at making any money out of this. I just really like to doing it. If at some point I'm good enough to have someone want to pay me to do it, then that's just an added bonus. I"m not actively seeking to make a career out of it.

yadda yadda yadda

Oh, and we don't really have a mag like that around here :wtc:

6. ahem.....

7. sony

sony Active Member

Digital Rebel. :hsugh:

8. MattC

That's a good idea, just one I don't feel like pursuing. :o
    It just doesn't interest me that much. I like it better when a band is actually doing a show.

edit: Also, all of the bands I want to shoot don't need the extra press.

Last edited: May 11, 2005
  9. MattC