A&P Advice on DSLR and getting into photography

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Demon, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Demon

Demon Member

I've currently got a Canon IXus Point & Shoot camera would like to get a DSLR and experiment with lenses etc to pursue my hobby as an amatuer photographer.

I've been looking at the Nikon D80 and see that i can get a 18-200mm VR lens as a kit. I figure that the 18-200mm will give me a wide option of scenes to shoot from..

I've thought about just getting a cheaper body and getting decent glass (as that is what everyone on all the DSLR forums seem to preach to new buyers).

I've also been keeping Nikon, Canon and Pentax in mind as options for the DSLR.

Any advice?

As an example: Would i be better with say the Nikon D80 & 18 - 200mm VR lens for AU $2145 or go with a Nikon D40x body (AU $779) and buy a heap of different lenses.

Remember i'm just a beginner.. and hope to keep this as a serious hobby... so i would like to get something that isn't going to restrict any future purchases of lenses etc.

I'm willing to go with whatever brand - be it Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Pentax.. as long as it is decent and not just sackridden because "everyone else uses one".. Mind you, if everyone else uses one (professionals) that's probably good cause to stick to the brand.. ??

Thanks

Also - If there was one book you could recommend on Basic/Advanced photography - shooting concepts etc etc with light, sort of like the Bible of Photography - what is it?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  2. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

The D80 and 18-200 is a great choice for you to start out with.

The lens is a jack of all trades, so eventually as you get more comfortable, you'll want to start looking into sharper, faster lenses - but you'll be able to take great shots right out of the box with the 18-200.

Stay away from the D40x - It does't have a motor drive and will severly restrict your ability to buy glass in the future.

3. Demon

Demon Member

Thanks! I've read about the D40x not having the motor drive.. its been a prominent issue raised on some of the forums.. heehehe

I'm starting to lean towards the D80. And the 18 - 200mm lens will be handy in not making me "bored" as such if i were limited to one fixed lens. Once i get the hang of it and get the basics down.. the 50mm f1/4 lens seems to be a popular one for portraits and the like.

I've come to realise that the whole Nikon v Canon thing is a big wank - saying that one is definately better than the other. I'm going to actually hold the D80 and then compare it to the Canon body and see which i prefer.

I've heard from varying people that Nikon's design and menu system is very intuitive and ergornomic. From some of the descriptions they've told me, it sounds like a camera system i'd be more comfortable with.

4. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Sounds like you've got your ducks in a row.

I went through the same process you're going through now. I ended up with the D80, based almost entirely on how perfect it felt in my hands compared to the other cameras in the price range.

Now I have 4 lenses, 2 flashes and a whole host of other crap to go with it. I LOVE it.

g'luck.

5. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

i would definitely recommend holding them before making a decision. also, something else to think about (and the reason i went canon over nikon) is if you have friends or family you can borrow glass from.

6. blueapple

blueapple Obama 2008

7. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!