Advice on detailing C6 Z06

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by JHN272, May 22, 2009.

1. JHN272

JHN272 OT Supporter

Got this car last fall, a black 2006 C6 Z06. Didn't get to drive it much before winter hit. Planned on detailing it and got some stuff together based on a friend's advice. Basically, I'm a noob and I'm not seeing what I want to see...just need some help.

PC buffer, 6.5 pads (2 orange, 2 white, 2 black, 2 blue), poorboy's SSR1 polish, meguiars #7 glaze, NXT tech wax, natty's paste (blue)...and mother's clay kit.

Washed it, and then went over it with the clay and quick detailer.

I polished with the SSR1, but it didn't remove ALL the fine visible scratches. I was applying evenly on the pad, spreading out 2x2 area, starting at 2 and then going to 4. Then, passed over it slowly 3 times and then removed with a microfiber towel. Friend told me to relax, that the next stages will fill in some too.

Then I used the #7 glaze in just about the same fashion as I did the polish. It was tougher to remove, but I did the whole car.

Then, I applied the NXT wax. Put around pad, spread out, and just did speed 4. It came off easily, and It looks OK. Just not deep and glossy...and there are these barely visible waffle marks on it...no idea what those are from or what caused it.

Pulled it out into the sun and could really notice the waffling. :eek4:

I can take pics if I need to...

Should I start over? Should I apply the natty's paste? Help.:o

I really wanted to get the car out this weekend, but I can keep it in and redo everything if I need to. From what I've read in the stickies, the products I'm using aren't exactly the ones of choice for OT. I've seen a C6 Z on here, hopefully someone who's done a few can advise me.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Did you not see the write-up on the TT Z06 I did? Should be right above or below your thread. Rotary is your friend.

3. JHN272

JHN272 OT Supporter

I did, but I'm a complete noob. I didn't think rotaries were for beginners...?

4. Scottwax

They aren't but you can't properly correct a Corvette without one. Maybe a Flex 3401 will get you close if you don't mind spending $280 on a high power DA buffer.

5. JHN272

JHN272 OT Supporter

I figured...so, the PC may not have the correcting power to fix my swirls...but these waffle looking spots...they look more like orange peel than buffer marks.

What can I do about those in the short run?

I may invest in a dewalt soon.

6. Scottwax

Pics would really help.

Only way to remove excessive orange peel is by wetsanding.

7. JHN272

JHN272 OT Supporter

I'll grab some when I get home ~7pm EST. I don't think it was there before I started working on it.

Could anything I did have caused it? Too much product or unevenly applying it...?

I understand what causes orange peel in paints, but would any of these products applied with a PC create an orange peel looking effect?

BTW, thanks for the quick replies Scott.

8. JHN272

JHN272 OT Supporter

9. JHN272

JHN272 OT Supporter

It looks like OP. :wtc:

Would the polish/glaze/wax bring it out moreso than before?

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  10. Scottwax

Been using one for about 18 months now.

11. JHN272

JHN272 OT Supporter

Scott, do you know anyone off hand in the OH/WV/PA area that you would recommend for wet-sanding? I know there are some quality detailers in Columbus.

Everyone is telling me to just live with it though, a lot of Corvettes have it, just deal. :wtc:

12. Scottwax

Learn to live with the orange peel. Factory clears aren't meant to be wetsanded. Only thing I'd recommend is light spot wetsanding to remove deep defects. You wetsand the whole car and you are compromising the durability of the finish.

When a car is given a show quality paint job, there are wetsanding steps through every layer of paint and they finish with extra clear so they can safely make the finish glass smooth. You are looking at $10,000+ for that kind of work.

13. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Without question a Flex 3401 will do about 90% of the job, and if the defects aren't really that bad at all, the Flex will get you 100% there. You're fooling yourself if you think a PC will manage that, though.

:bigthumb:

14. JHN272

JHN272 OT Supporter

I know. :hs:

Yeah, that's almost exactly what I was told today. I can live with it. It's not best looking show car quality paint, but it's fine for me.

I went to a Corvette show today and saw a LOT of early model (05-07) C6's with a great deal of orange peel. The two 09's did not have a noticeable amount. My car had much glossier look and a lot less swirl though. I was actually surprised at the condition of my paint versus the other cars I saw.

Thanks for the advice...I learned a great deal with this experience.

15. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

A PC with 4" yellow cutting pads can actually be pretty effective on a C5/C6.