SRS Advice on dealing with your stressed out S/O

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Hoss, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Hoss

Hoss Nah, i had water yesterday

My girl and i are having troubles, and i need someone to talk to. Here lately she's been stressed to the max. I feel as tho, when your significant other is stressed he or she should be able to talk about what stresses them with you. My girl will not tell me what is stressing her right...so how am i supposed to deal with it?

2. PrettyKittieJ

PrettyKittieJ New Member

Funny you ask because just the other day my BF said that me being stressed and depressed was taking its toll on him as well - which really put things in prospective for me - I would suppose the first step would be to let her know that you are there for her no matter what - alot of things that I am stressed about I dont want to talk to my BF about b/c I dont think that he would understand - just reasure her - thats all a girl needs sometimes

3. Hoss

thanks

4. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

People can be alot more understanding than you think. It is the single most annoying thing in the world to me when someone refuses to tell me something because 'I won't understand.' How do you know what someone else will and will not understand if you try and tell them?

5. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

This is something that drives me crazy as well. My GF and I cannot talk about what stresses her out. She can talk to her aunt, her dad, and her brothers with no problems. But with me, she clams up. :rant:

So, I have resigned myself to the fact that she just won't talk to me. :dunno: This is personally a slap in the face for me. I majored in Psychology and would think I would have a clue.

How often do you hear "If you don't like your doctor, get a second opinion!" Well, it's the same for stuff like this. She doesn't like my advice, so she is getting it elsewhere. This does not mean she does not like you, just your advice does not work for her.

Suck it up. What this really means, to me, is that you are blessed with a woman who is not with you because you are a crutch. She is with you because you get along when things are great, she loves you and likes being with you. You should thank your lucky stars that she always wants to talk about the good stuff with you. I know I do, it makes life much more fun. :)

6. Hoss

thanks for the advice

7. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Well, here's a different perspective...it's not necessarily a negative thing that she isn't unloading her stress out to you.

I have this "thing" going with a girl lately...the conversations have always been fun and lively. She's a registered nurse..works those weird hours that sometimes involve flipping schedules day and nights.

But she never really talks about work. It's always "It's OK" when I ask about it. When I later asked her why she would not share a little more with me (since I take an interest in her day of course), she explained to me that she values our time talking. It's her release. The last thing she wants to do is to involve problems of her workday during these moments with me.

But of course, I want to help if there WERE problems in the workplace that is causing her grief.

The only thing I can do, just as you should do, is tell her that you're here for her should she need you. Tell her you want to help. The rest is up to her. Don't put pressure, she already has that from work....