Advice on buying a new Plasma TV

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dstar, Jan 25, 2009.

1. dstar

dstar it's the motherfucking remix. OT Supporter

let me start by saying while I don't watch much TV or play a lot of video games, i do enjoy a quality experience when I do take the time to watch a movie/play PS3. My xmas gift from my parents was a 32" plasma TV (Vizio) which actually had a decent image after a little adjustment, and according to reviews holds up against a lot of the more expensive comparisons. well, a few days ago I turned on my TV to play some ps3 and green pixels started buzzing about the screen. so I returned it and I got 500 dollars out of it.

well now that I'm back to my old shit TV, i'm wondering if I should

a.) buy another 32" Vizio - mine seemed to be a dud since a lot of people DO like them according to a few searches I did
    b.) pony up and buy that Pioneer Kuro 50" i've been eyeing up (i find it hard to justify the money but I love the tv)
    c.) ask you guys for a little better advice on something cheap yet comparably baller

I have the money to spend, I just don't know if it's worth it. I was pretty happy with the 32" so maybe I should stick to that...ugh. Something about buying the baller 50" and keeping it for years to come is appealing...but I'd also like to do other things with my money too...

Any advice, A/V people?

2. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

GEt the pioneer. They are pretty cheap right now at a few places. plasmaconcepts had them for $1999 with free shipping. Best Buy had them for $2200.

3. dstar

so tempting. I just read a ton of reviews and at 2k, it seems like a solid deal...

4. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

5. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Coming from a plasma which he had and is looking for, to a not even 120hz mid range lcd is gonna suck. Samsung makes the best lcd's but their 6 series + is where they start to get decent. Anyway, to the thread starter, get the Pioneer. It costs more, but is well worth it.

6. dstar

i'd like to keep it around 1500 but i can do 2 grand...

i'm open to options!

7. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

Look into the panasonic viera line.

8. cacique78

cacique78 Member