SRS Advice needed v. drinking problem

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SovietRussia, Oct 24, 2007.

1. SovietRussia

SovietRussia What? You pooped in the refrigerator? OT Supporter

ok. so here's the scoop. 2 weeks ago, i was at a wedding. drank too much. blacked out and did a few dumb things. i apologize to the people i offended and said that i was going to take a break from drinking for a while. they didnt seem to care too much about what i did, probably because they have come to expect that sort of stupidity from me when i am drinking. the problem i have is, i kindof set a goal for myself to not drink until thanksgiving time, which i told my friends about. sort of as a punishment to myself, imposed by myself. i do realize that i have a pattern of drinking is problematic, since i dont like blacking out or alienating myself from my friends. but alot of the time i hang out with them, it is at the bars (i live a few hours away, and only come back every other weekend or so). my goal from my punishment is to teach myself to control my drinking more so that i wont drink so much i black out. do you think this abstaining for 6 weeks or so will have any effect on this?

i dont want to quit drinking. i enjoy having a beer every once in a while, and enjoy the social aspect of drinking with friends in a bar scene. i do on the other hand want to limit my drinking, so i dont drink too much and abuse alcohol. any tips for that?

2. SovietRussia

SovietRussia What? You pooped in the refrigerator? OT Supporter

i also have this weird thing, where like if my friends call and ask me to, for example, go to the bar with them, and i dont go, i feel like i am going to miss the funnest night ever. specifically i am worried about this weekend, if they call and ask if i want to go out, i will want to drink and have fun with my friends (so i wont miss, what in my mind, could possibly be the most fun night ever), yet, part of me will feel like i am breaking the punishment i gave to myself (although i dont know if/how beneficial the punishment is/will be to me). also, i will be wondering if my friends will think less of me because i told them i was taking a break (i didnt give them a time frame of the break) and it has only been two weeks.

3. Hediir

Hediir New Member

Go to a bar, grab 1 beer. Find a girl you like, spend all your money on getting her drunk, bring her home have sex, go to sleep. End of night.

4. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

if you are like me, you will find any attempt to control drinking impossible for any amount of time

5. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

This came up last night at my home group. Among us are a lawyer, engineer, medical professionals, etc.. Very intelligent, dedicated, disciplined and successful. None of us were able to successfully control our drinking after taking the first one.

We now count the days from our last drink instead of to the next.

6. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I was the same way...way back when. I ended up having to endure much more pain before I was willing to think about not drinking.

I don't know if you're an alcoholic or not but you're certainly showing some signs.

7. okietiger

okietiger New Member

I know I cant stop at just one or two drinks.

8. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Funny thing for me, I absolutely 100% know I can stop with one because I can be very stubborn and I've got a lot of willpower. I know that I can do this even today....but I don't want to.

The problem for me is, I won't be happy about stopping at one. I won't be able to sit back and just enjoy the night like my friends because I'll be obsessing about that next drink. These thoughts will literally be ever-present and I'll be looking for the time when I'm done with the test. When I'm not at the bar, I'll be thinking about the next time I'll be there and how many I can get away with before my significant other tells me I've had enough or whatever. So even though I may be able to take one drink and stop, my emotions won't stop, my mind won't stop and my cravings for more damned sure won't stop. So while on the outside I appear to have stopped at one, inside, I haven't.

I'm a sneaky bastard when it comes to drinking and if someone wants me to pass their little test to see whether or not I'm an alcoholic, which usually consists of just have 1 or 2 and stop, I'll pass the test with flying colors and they'll never, ever know the tornado of emotions raging inside of me. Once they are convinced, I'll resume my old drinking habits and probably make fun of them to my "real drinking buddies" a/k/a the other alcoholics that drink like I drink and therefore don't call me out on my drinking.

See my end goal as an alcoholic is to always get more alcohol with the least amount of pain involved. So if I have to endure my g/f shit tests so I can still fuck her and drink as much as I want....I'll do it because to fight about it just brings me down. Towards the latter stages of my drinking, I just lost all pretense and said fuck it....when I'm drinkin, I'm drinkin and I ain't going to give a shit about stopping. I'll stop when I'm damned good and ready to and if she doesn't like it....fuck her! That attitude started to spill over to when I wasn't drinking also. I was a real mess.