Advice needed, this car is trashed.

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by El Slotho, Oct 24, 2002.

1. El Slotho

El Slotho Every hour wounds. The last one kills.

1988 740il

It's a total disgrace. The car is covered in what looks like light (and not so light) scratches and water spots. The paint is faded a bit, but it honestly looks like it could clean up decently with the right amount of attention and the right cleaning product. Hopefully.

The owner is an older gentleman, a longtime friend of my father's, and someone who I would really like to help out. He admired the finish on my M3, and I told him I would try and help him, but forewarned him that sometimes no amount of cleaning/polishing/waxing will bring back paint that is too far gone. When he asked what it would take to make the paint look like mine, I went worse case scenario told him it would need repainting....:dunno:

Thoughts on what I should use? I took a few pics, but as usual the car was filthy and it's hard to get an idea of how bad this car reall is - the one pic of the trunk is representative of the paint's condition on the entire car.

I will go buy whatever is suggested, I figured some sort of Meguiar's medium/heavy cut cleaner, layered with some polish, and then a wax (I will probably go with the Yellow Wax because I have a bottle of it here).

Thanks guys.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2002
  2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

You may be able to polish/clay out the water spots, but a lot of those scratches are through the clear coat and really, nothing is going to help that. You may be able to minimize them with a strong paint cleaner and follow with a polish, but it won't be perfect.

Probably go with Meduim Cut, Swirl Remover #9 then Show Car Glaze #7, then wax. You will probably have to clay also.

BTW, can you compress any future pics? Kind of hard to mod this forum with huge pics and a crappy dial up connection (and no options at this time for DSL or broadband :(

3. El Slotho

El Slotho Every hour wounds. The last one kills.

Damn. I saved them in about the lowest possible quality in Pshop, and thought that with the largest pic hitting 150K that they were really nice and small. Sorry about that, Scott, I removed the pics (and my sig pic which is huge) from the original post for easier viewing of this response, seeing as it was your (and maybe EMT's) specific opinion that interested me.

Your take on the paint is exactly what I feared. Those scratches aren't going anywhere, a shame seeing as the car's interior is immaculate. Hopefully, as you said, I will be able to minimize the damage with a little care and at least a day's worth of hard work.

Thanks again.