A&P Advice needed, possible wedding photography

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by mrduke, Jun 15, 2009.

1. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

Two of my friends are getting married in September and he approached me the other night about taking pics at their wedding. It's going to be a small wedding and they're on a budget so it's nothing extravagant. I've never done anything 'professional' before and definitely never anything like a wedding, but I do know how to take a picture and I feel like I could probably read 15 wedding EDUs and get some decent captures. I don't even know how much wedding photogs charge or anything about prints/etc after the fact :o

Too much for a relative noob, or would you guys take on something like this?

2. johan

johan Active Member

post up some of your recent people shots aka portraits, before we get into the logistics of running a decent wedding shoot.

3. Snowballer

Snowballer - Blissfully Insane -

Are you planning on making money off of your friend?

4. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

if they're close friends you have to ask yourself if your prepared to possibly jeopardize your friendship. if they're just acquaintences, go for it, don't do it for free, but don't charge them much because chances are you're going to fuck something up. People think shooting a wedding is easy, but it's not.

5. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

I wasn't thinking about turning a profit, no. He offered to pay for my hotel room during the stay, or whatever I thought it should cost. I told him we'd talk about it later (ie. after I asked OTAP)
    Not super close but I've known them for a while. I know it's not easy which is why I'm asking here. Basically I want to know, is it possible to shoot a wedding for the first time on your own and come away with enough good photos/the 'right' photos, or should I follow someone around the first time?

6. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

I should also list my gear. I can always rent another lens but this is what I have on hand:

20d
    Tamron 17-50
    Canon 70-200 f/4
    50 f/1.8
    430EX
    Cactus trigger/stand/umbrella

7. johan

johan Active Member

How could anyone possibly answer this without seeing your work? Yes it's possible.
    Possible for you? How could we know.

8. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

yes, it's possible. my 1st wedding wasn't anything spectacular (and they still aren't where I'd like them to be) but I produced pics that they were happy with.

and as far as your gear goes, it would really be nice if you had a 2nd body just in case something goes wrong with one of them. Do you have a friend you can borrow one from? Also... how many extra batteries do you own?

9. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

I have two batteries, and not a single friend owns a DSLR :o

10. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

To be perfectly honest, with your equipment list and lack of wedding experience I'd say "no". However, since I don't know your photography ability I'm going to say "maybe".

11. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

My equipment is the part that's really got me thinking. The cactus triggers aren't very reliable and I'm no expert at flash settings yet, especially for large groups and all the special shots that people like at weddings. Plus they're doing it in Vegas hotel so I have no idea what the light will be like in there, and the 20d at high ISO is pretty ugly.

My friends all love my pics, but that may just be the 'guy with the big camera' stigma :mamoru: I'm almost never satisfied with my stuff and like I said, I just don't have much experience shooting anything like this. The unknown lighting situation at the location is big worry for me. I'm sure I could come away with some good pics, I just don't want to miss a bunch of stuff because I'm not prepared for it.

12. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Then I would graciously tell your friend that he may or may not get all the pics he wants but that you're willing to try.

13. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

Honesty is always the ticket. Would you still accept some form of payment (ie. him paying for my hotel room for 3 nights) or what?

14. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Yes. Paying for your hotel is expected.

15. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

Fair enough. How do you normally give your clients their photos? Burning to CD and sticking that in the mail sounds kinda cheesy :o

16. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

17. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I burn a DVD (CD's don't hold enough), print a nice label on it, add a print release letter and a thank you letter and stick it in the mail.

However, I've been thinking about putting them in a nice leather case.

18. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

:cool: will read. I need to find about a hundred of those and read up.
    Gotcha, I just didn't know if you're expected to provide a certain number of physical prints or anything. I suppose I'll just have to tell him everything that I can provide and see if he likes it.

No more questions now, I'll do as much reading as I can on this stuff and come back with some more informed ones. Thanks :cool:

19. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Fact is you have to shoot a wedding at sometime :o

Post some samples of your work.

20. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

As far as people go, these are some of my favorites

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Watch your exposures. Underexposure is the devils handiwork and you have a couple of pics that look like Satan shot them.

22. Memopad

Memopad OT Supporter

If you do the wedding make sure you pay attention to the lighting (too much backlight). Almost all those shots you posted would need alot of photoshop to be decent and you lose quality doing that.

I did my sister's wedding on my 6 year old 300d, one lens, one battery, and no flash. I rented a decent lens and that was that. It was a challenge, but i got some great photos and my sis and brother in law are super happy with the results.

Best advice i can give is talk to the bride/groom before and to get an idea of what they want. Get on the same page and make sure you know you can deliver before hand. Probably the only reason i was able to do my sisters wedding was because we had the same idea of what kind of shots she wanted.

23. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

If they are expecting pics that a friend took and our on a budget that doesn't support a pro then let them know that is what they are going to get.

If they want a lot of stuff that a pros gonna be able to get that you could possible struggle to get due to lack of experience in workflow and other things then they are gonna have to hire a pro.

If they do decide to use you I wouldn't charge friends at this point. There just to much liability.

24. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

Either do it for free or stay away from it.