SRS *Advice Needed: Job Search*

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by blackgrrl23, Jan 10, 2006.

1. blackgrrl23

blackgrrl23 If the game ain't money, then I ain't playing.

I usually don't do this but I am at wit's end here...:hs:

I was "laid off" in late November due to the contract ending suddenly (I was with a temp agency on a government contractor contract). I do have 2 great references from them. Prior to that I was with another agency for 6 months and lost that job due to the contract ending as well due to internal hire (couldn't afford my conversion fee). Got a great reference from them as well. Prior to that were various permanent jobs....the last ended due to the office moving far out in VA and my car was unreliable, so I resigned and decided to go back to school. My car is running fine now thanks to my grandfather paying 1000+ to get it fixed (2000 focus :sad2:)

Obviously I have been searching for a job. The only people who call back are other temp agencies (with no guarentee of a long term or temp-to-perm job) or permanent employers wishing to pay 10-11 an hour which I can't really live off (see avatar for reason why :) ). I need to afford rent and can easily downgrade to a studio apartment if need be but even then I need to make at least 28k to qualify for those apartments.

I have another interview at 12 for yet another temp agency...the last 3 made me take all their tests and then never had a job for me. To this day I call daily/every other day and nothing is available.

I hate to do this, but should I take a survival job for now? Money is running low and we gotta eat/pay rent...we are ok for another 30-45 days at best..rent is paid through March 1 :hsugh:

Of course the other issue is I can only work 7-6 M-F since that's when my son's daycare hours are...if I want to work outside those hours I need to pay for an extra babysitter :sad2:

I could go get another job today (at walmart or target or something) easily, but once again those babysitting hours come into play....

What should I do OT??? :sadwavey:

2. Bella

Bella New Member

Honey I'm at the same place you are, I've been searching since November as well. Like you I cant live off of just 9,10,12 an hour and I live with someone that is tired of working 6 days a week and supporting me. I feel terrible. But I guess all I can say which I need to do is take what you can get at the moment any money is better than no money and see if there is anyone that can watch your son if it comes to that. Good Luck

3. RyeBread

RyeBread If you tell the truth you don't have to remember a

one of the many blessings I count as mine, is that I'm (barely) able to provide for my wife to stay at home with our kids.

out of the blue brainstorming for daycare - any activity through your church, or similar social setting?

4. blackgrrl23

I already get financial assistance with the daycare...if I don't get a job ASAP I will lose even that assistance :wtc: Paying 45/week now...without it it's 161/week :eek4:

5. RyeBread

I was referring to the after hours possibility that a new job might bring.

6. blackgrrl23

Finding nighttime childcare is easy, it's just people want to charge 40-50 per night to watch him which would negate any extra earnings I would have made. (assuming a 10/hr job at night). Child care assistance does not help in this situation since the extra job would put me over the income limit for the assistance. No family wants to help; they are too busy with their own lives and didn't want me to have him in the first place really.:wtc:

EDIT: I need to keep the daytime childcare open for interviews and such until I find a regular 9-5 again. It took me a year to even get assistance and I don't want to lose it now and be forced to reapply and pay full price when I clearly can't afford it right now. :hs:

7. RyeBread

ouch.

my wife, for a short while was watching latchkey kids. she was only charging $25/day under the table. :hs:

I don't have anything else to offer other than wishes for good luck.

8. blackgrrl23

Thank you :hug:

People in the main OT forum suested grabbing a job waiting tables for quick cash during lunch shift so I can make a little money and still have free time to jobhunt FTW :hsd:

9. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

If you lost your job as much as i have then you become familiar with this stuff. So here is some good advice.

-No phonecalls/e-mails/internet/letters but PERSONAL CONTACT
    Its better if you ask (can i come to (fill in name company)) to talk eye to eye.
    Thats important, because its been in my experience that people just don't reply to the rest so why waste your effort on a e-mail.

The reason they don't reply is because 'no one is interested' the person who has to read them has something better to do 'namely his own job, and supporting his own family' And its hard to asses a person merely from a letter :sad2: so be sure to get personal contact, and talk your way into the company.

- Do NOT tell the truth during a job interview, im not saying go lie here but bear with me as i explain.

A boss does not want to 'hear' your background, your history bla bla bla. Your boss wants to 'hear' what he/she wants to 'HEAR' , this means YOU only say those things that you know your 'possible future boss' wants to hear.

You have to stay positive at ALL times, that person in front of you can decide your future,right? Go figure why you don't want to start with ' i have a handicap in my back ' NO, say those things that he want to hear and can be in interest for the companies future. Make that person believe there's a lot of money to earn by giving you that job.

Alright, now searching for a job is a hassle, therefore goto your local JOB agency, and let them do the search for you. You of course aren't going to sit still you go thru new-papers and advertisements to search for a job oppertunity. It might not be what you want , but you have no choice, once you get a job you'll always might be able to make a 'switch' for now its most important that you get employed so focus on that.

10. SpectraRedZ

SpectraRedZ New Member

I've been out of a job for awhile, and have applied with temp agencys that dont call back, tons of different jobs I see listed on websites, called people, etc. I've begun "tweaking" my resume to lean more towards the full requirements of a job I'm applying for.

Currently my bf and his dad are trying to get me a position at the company they both work at, but nothings guarenteed (this'll be the 3rd position I've applied for with this company, but the other two were lab tech positions & they chose people with degrees).

I wish you good luck though in getting a job soon.

11. Create

Create :free at last:

Unsolicited contact will do nothing but waste your time.

This is the biggest load of bullshit I've seen someone try to pass off in a long time.

12. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Take it or leave it , it worked for me in practise. :dunno: im not longer jobless. :noes: i hope it stays that way.

13. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Sometimes you have to take jobs that you don't want, to help try to pay the bills.
    How old is your child? Have you tried looking for daycare in other places (for nighttime hours)? Have you talked to any of your relatives about helping you out with childcare? Another thing you can do is find some other parents who have children around the same age as yours, and offer to 'trade' children once a week or so. You could go out and wait tables (or do whatever) while they watch your children, and in return you could watch theirs while they go out and do whatever. Another way to get inexpensive childcare is to find a stay at home mom or someone else who is looking for extra money to watch your kids.
    Or you could offer to do the same to make a little extra cash and be able to stay home with your child/ren.
    I don't know how it is by where you are though, I can only offer you advice from my own experiences.

14. Ded Guy Walkin

Ded Guy Walkin New Member

I dunno man, its worked for me too. Obviously, you dont lie enough to get your ass into trouble. You fluff up your experience levels, give your possible future boss a rosy picture of your potential. Because if its an entry level job, its not going to be so complex that you wont be able to learn it within a week or so.

They lied about the job, I lied to get the job. We're even.

15. Create

I mean, no ones perfectly honest. I place alot of value on my integrity, though. If you were to throw a kid into the mix I'd sack integrity to feed my child.

Extreme: Lie. Tell the interviewer what they want to hear to get the job.
    Much less extreme: Paint a rosy picture. Exaggerate your experience a bit.

How much of yourself are you willing to sacrifice for money?

16. RyeBread

it's partially called role playing. one adopts the role of someone trying to get the job.

there are obvious do's and don'ts. Instead of acting like Jim Carey in Liar Liar, one avoids telling the whole truth, the unsolicited bad parts, and emphasizes instead the strong points, and perhaps fluffs up the ambition part.

"I'm really looking forward to the challenges that blah will provide..."
    when in reality...
    "I can't wait to get in here, and figure out who I have to fuck over to get a promotion, and how to get paid for doing the least amount of work...."

Pretty extreme example, but it should prove to illustrate the point.

I'd wager, that anyone who "keeps it 100% real all of the time" is likely unemployed, and even friendless...

17. blackgrrl23

UPDATE: Went on that temp agency interview...still have yet to get any assignment from them. They said they would "submit my resume" for a few open positions but of course that means nothing but wait more. I have an interview for tomorrow for a well known government contractor and I know I will ace the interview but I hope they pick me :noes: If this doesn't work out, here I come Friday's or Starbucks :sad2:

My resume is getting more looks/callbacks but I can't replay the messages they left because my cell is now disconnected :mad:

18. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd: when you are in a situation where you have to support yourself AND a child, you can't be picky if a job comes your way that you are able to handle.

19. Ded Guy Walkin

Ded Guy Walkin New Member

Holy crap, theyre taking their sweet time. They got back to me within a week, but with shit postings. have you tried the classifieds page of the Washington Post? I got a summer job that way. Also, Craigs list isnt so bad for our area. Best of luck!

20. Create

Get that cellphone back up!! Inform the agencies of your new phone number!

careerbuilder.com
    monster.com
    your local newspaper
    stuff envelopes at home

Where do you live? I have a connection for consistent subcontract work in Indianapolis. Pays $9-15 without experience. $15-25 with Network+, MCP/MCSE for the higher end of the scale.

21. blackgrrl23

No, but I will do it if i don't get a job this week...:wtc:

I am going later today to starbucks, fridays, places in my neighborhood i know are immediate hires...I'll just feel guilty if someone comes through with a higher paying job in my field and I will have to quit :noes: How do I handle that question? The second they see my admin. background they are going to wonder how long I actually plan on staying :hsugh:

22. blackgrrl23

Trust me I am on all those websites and more....I got my cell back on today :o

23. Seiz

Seiz ヽ(´ー`)┌

i work for a temp staffing agency, (nursing) Tempsinc.

My boss (president and CEO) of the company really check monster and stuff. maybe you can do that.