Advice Needed - Home Audio Speaker recommendation

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JumboAg99, Feb 17, 2004.

1. JumboAg99

JumboAg99 Guest

I'm looking to upgrade some of my speakers and am looking for the best bang for my buck.

I need a sub and new front speakers. I'm targetting about $500 for the sub and the $300 per speaker range for the new front's.

I've got a nice bose center channel right now, 20 year old front speakers and 6 1/2" rear ones. I don't have a sub right now, and the new front speakers will replace the ancient ones.

First blush, this is what I looked at: a JBL 12" from Best Buy and a pair of dual 8" JBL's for about $300 a piece. I can swap my Bose center for a friends JBL center as an even trade if I decide to... that's why I initially looked at JBL's, but I'm not particular to any brand.

Suggestions?? (I have a 5.1 receiver and a HD Big Screen TV, so I want decent sound to match up with my TV investment.)

2. ixlr8

ixlr8 New Member

Find a Paradigm dealer. They make an awesome speaker. For the sub the ps 1000 is nice and the fronts the monitor 5's are probably around what you are looking for.
    Plus there's a 5 year warrantee

3. JumboAg99

JumboAg99 Guest

My receiver does what it needs to do, but it's nothing fancy. It's a Sony STR-DE845. It's a few years old. It is a 5.1 Sony. 100+100W front, 100W center, 100+100W rear with enough optical inputs to meet my needs. I like it.

The store pukes harp on matching brand names with all of the speakers.. Is it really important, or are they trying to make a sale?

4. Dobis P.R.

Dobis P.R. Guest

For tonal consistancy your speakers should match. Not only by brand but by speaker line. i.e. JBL Northridge speakers will not match their Studio line.

5. fire

fire New Member

I think Athena's from Best Buy have been getting good ratings.

6. SQLee

SQLee The OTer That Cares™

Bose sucks really badly. B&W makes a badass pair of bookshelves for about $600 that'll sound better than anything from BB/CC. Sub wise...eh, not sure.

7. cassetti

cassetti New Member

Lol - as bob sacameno said - it is a horrible idea to do all this swaping around with speakers, to break it down this way:

for optimal imaging - all speakers should match.

for ACCEPTABLE imaging:

Front Left/Right/Center speakers should all be matching.
    Rear Speakers are not the most important - as long as they are decent 30 degree off axis response in the 100 hz to 15khz range - then you are golden (don't even quite need that)
    Subwoofer: go with whatever works - in frequencys below 100 hz - it really is hard to determine imaging.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

That being said - dude - i build custom home theater systems - i built several - one $1700 home theater system for my parents (just for parts - not including the time and labor i put into it). I built a $400 home theater system for myself (college kid - small speaker system), and i have builit several various systems for friends.

I do it on the side - but my specialty - is for all my home theater systems i build - i use real wood veneer - and stain/finish them to match whatever the custom wants - and i do that for free practically (note that the cost of veeneer prohibits the cost - but if other highend veeners desired - cost may be an addition $20 or something)

But dude - i can build some nice loud subwoofer system for your home theater - even could do one for a cheap price that would include an infared wireless remote to control the subwoofer itself! - for around $300 or so (and i can guarantee it would kick that jbl sub's @ss.

I also build budget home theater systems in all shapes and sizes - send me a pm - i can work with you and give you a price quote - as well as show you what i have done and what i can do. I am not a company - i am not tryin to spam - it just looks to me like you are a guy in need of a system that actually consists of matching componets for a good price!

8. cassetti

cassetti New Member

$26 on ebay for mine - he he - beat that! (shame that its not digital inputs........)

9. bri1042

bri1042 New Member

I realize this is a kinda old thread but I wanted to throw my hat in the Paradigm corner. I've been running a pair of Monitor 7's for the last 8 years or so and they have been utterly fantastic. Clear, consistent imaging and they sound as good now as they did when I bought them.