Advice needed for getting a job in IT

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Swerve, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Back in the mid 90's I worked for an IT technical support department working on stand alone desktops sold to the general public.

Well, now I want to get back into a similar career (been working in sales) and am basicly looking for any advice any of you IT pro's could offer me.

I've a good basic understanding of most hardware components (except networking and WiFi).

Has anyone ever worked for PC World? I'm in the UK and am thinking this may be a good place to start as it will give me the chance to familerise myself with a wide range of components.

Any advice you could offer is greay appreiciated!!

Again, thanks.

2. keleko

keleko yes, he is

dont.

3. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

thanks for that but I really enjoy working with PCs. I'm always getting calls from friends to help them fix their problems and enjoy helping them.

4. keleko

keleko yes, he is

then call up a few local small-time pc repair shops and ask of they need help, but don't think that you're gonna be able to jump right in and pick up where you left off after ~10 years

5. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

I know, things change a lot in six months! I'm hoping the amount of practical experimentation and book reading iI've done s going to give me what I need to be a contender.

I know quite alot on certain subjects but there not mainstream. Things like PHP, Photoshop, Dreamweaver,TCP/IP, MySQL, Perl and stuff. I want to learn networks and Linux but the easyest jobs to get dont require such things

6. RubiconSahara

RubiconSahara OT Supporter

Go to school for it or find someone willing to be a mentor or give an internship.

You're at the bottom of the list for employers these days without any formal training or current experience.