Advice: How to get in shape and keep in shape

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by magik, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magik

magik New Member

Few questions:

I had a child 2 years ago and stupidly took diet pills (Phentermine) to lose the post pregnancy weight because I didn't want to work out or eat right. I kept the weight off for several months but a few months back I went from a size 4 and 115lbs to a size 6 and 130lbs. I would ideally like to get down to at least 120lbs, but the actual weight isn't the issue. I would like to shed some of my more stubborn fatty areas such as my lower stomach, sides, lower back, and my thighs. It would also be nice to tone up my entire body.

I bought some fitness dvds not too long ago but don't believe I've been doing it long enough to see any real results. I have yoga that focuses mainly on your stomach and a cardio + strength training dvd. I was told that cardio would help me burn fat while strength training would help build and maintain muscle. I'm wondering if this is true? Or are there other things I need to be doing?

I was also wondering what types of exercises are best for these specific problem areas, as well as general exercises for the entire body. I looked up some things online and was pointed in the direction of crunches/sit ups for my stomach and lunges and squats for my legs/butt.

And any eating tips? It seems after my son my metabolism has completely diminished and everything I eat - no matter how healthy or small - seems to cause me to put on weight. What kinds of foods are good to stick to, and around how many calories should I be consuming a day?

Any advice would be great. Thanks guys!

2. igo4bmx

igo4bmx WHAT WHAT WHAT THE FU OT Supporter

you know what we need.

3. magik

magik New Member

If I post a picture I'm going to be told I look fine, not interested in hearing how good or bad I look, I just want some diet/fitness advice.

4. Anabolic Pop-Tarts

Anabolic Pop-Tarts New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Figured it would either be this or

SQUATS AND MILK!!!!

5. BarbaraWaltersPegleg

BarbaraWaltersPegleg Irish Guido

Check out some of the womenz logs in the Training Log forum up top, especially Daneeyah or something for ideas, and search there has been a few routines for girls posted.

ASIAT

6. igo4bmx

you're talking to a bunch of people who are never satisfied with their own bodies.

7. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Go for a run... lift weights.. post pic

8. igo4bmx

I will mention that I think every person who works out should do compound lifts to get in shape fast. you work so many muscles doing compound movements, it may help you get to where you want to be.

plus all the fat chicks in my gym use machines, and the "healthy" looking ones are doing squats, deads, olympic lifts, etc

9. magik

magik New Member

I was thinking about starting to run every morning, I was in great shape when I was walking several miles a day, I think that may really help me get where I want to be.

I lift weights 2-3 times a week, but I've only been doing it for a few weeks now so I haven't noticed a difference yet. I only use 4-8lbs so I don't get "bulky". I'm not looking for any muscle definition, just cut down on the chubbier parts.

Compound lifts/movements? Can you elaborate a bit? Sorry for the trouble but I'm a total noob to this. I've never actually had to work out to stay in shape before.

10. igo4bmx

you should add more resistance- you will NOT GET BULKY.
    I had the same problem convincing my gf years ago, until she started dropping alot of weight actually lifting real weight.

11. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Getting and staying active is the key to health and fitness. If you like to run then run.. lifting will help (if you use real weights).

YOU WILL NOT GET BULKY! You don't have the testosterone to get bulky. Instead you will just sit around with tiny weights and waste your time instead of doing something worthwhile. Oh and you can't spot reduce so get that idea out of your head quick. Eat right.. lift hard.. and be consistant and you will see results.

12. magik

magik New Member

I started off with 2lbs, then 4lbs, then 6lbs currently I'm using 8lbs which I think may be good for a bit. I'm a pretty small girl so even working with 8lbs for a half hour has me sore afterwards. I may go up to 10lbs or more after a month or so of working with the 8lbs, see if I can handle that.

I didn't exercise at all a few years ago, but I was 100-110lbs for years, I am assuming it was due to the fact that I walked absolutely everywhere. Several miles a day just because I had to. Now I'm lucky if I even walk a full block a day.

I know that I can't spot reduce, I've got to lose overall body fat to get any results, but are there specific exercises I should do that will help? Maybe not burn fat but build some muscle or at least get me trim?

13. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

What are you doing in terms of your "lifting." You should be just grabbing an 8lb weight and flailing around for 30 minutes and hoping for results. Adjust weight based on the movements you are doing. If you want to build muscle you need to lift weights that are heavy (for you) and not something you can toss around with relative ease for 30 minutes or so.

14. magik

magik New Member

My lovehandles are currently my most annoying feature, I would like to tone up my stomach and get rid of the fatty sides. I think if I can do that my lower back will become less puffy as well.

[​IMG]

I'd also like to get some more muscle in my calves, they're quite small and I've got thick ankles, so by default I look like I've got fat girl cankles. What're some good exercises for building calve muscles?

[​IMG]

15. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Hmm can't really see much of the problem areas in those pics.. you might need to post more..

but yeah.. for calves you can do calf raises. Check out what some of the other girls are doing in their logs. Squat/Bench/Dead are good bread and butter lifts and something like the modified bill starr routine would be fine for you to be honest.

16. knucks

knucks Active Member

You look good (with your clothes on).

Don't worry about muscle gain, just lift.

17. magik

magik New Member

I am not familiar with the names of the exercises yet because I just follow what the dvd asks you to do, the ones I remember are: Military press, lateral rises, front raises, seated hammer curls, seated overhead extensions, squats and lunges.

I wouldn't say I can toss the 8lbs around with ease, but I can usually handle the reps if I rest in between sets. After 30 minutes with them I'm usually really sore for at least a day or so afterwards.

18. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

19. magik

magik New Member

Yeah you can't really see what I'm referring to with clothes on for the most part, but with tight jeans I get that awful muffin top thing going on.

20. magik

magik New Member

21. knucks

knucks Active Member

I know what you mean tho, I'm the same way about my body.

22. BarbaraWaltersPegleg

BarbaraWaltersPegleg Irish Guido

Ive seen you with your clothes off also, you dont have to work too hard, just cardio and some lifting will help you tone up some.

23. magik

magik New Member

I hope so, I want to see some change by the end of the month, even if it's only in the slightest. Having my clothes fit a little bit better would be awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.