GUN Advice/help needed...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by WooleyBooger, Nov 25, 2007.

1. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger OT Supporter

I currently own a Remington .243 Rifle, Remington 870 Express 20 ga., and a S&W .38 revolver. I would like to get a good .22 pistol for fun/target shooting/snake killing. I have been looking at the MKIII, Buckmark, or P22...still haven't decided. I also had looked at getting a short barrel and pistol grip for the 870 to use as home defense. I have a small child in the house (only 18 months now). I currently have the .38 in a small lockbox by the bed that i can get into quickly if needed.

Here's my question...obviously the .22 wouldn't be ideal as an HD weapon. The 870 with shorter barrel and pistol grip would be fine, but what shot should i use, and how would i secure it so that the child would be safe...but i would still be able to access it quickly if needed? Or should i continue using the .38? And if so, what ammo should i be using to minimize the risk of the bullet going from one end of the house to the next? Or would i be better off waiting on the .22 and getting something else entirely for HD? What caliber and ammo then?

Hope that all makes sense...

2. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Any
    decent self-defense munition will penetrate through several layers of sheetrock. Anything that doesn't go through a good half-dozen plus layers of your average 5/8" sheetrock isn't going to reliably stop an intruder. As much hype as the Glazer Safety Slug makes about not "overpenetrating," they glaze over or ignore the fact that this comes at the expense of underpenetrating attackers.

00 buck is generally considered to be a decent defense round. 000 buck has fewer, larger pellets. Most HD shotguns are 12ga - I don't know about using 20ga for home defense.

An inexpensive 12ga pump-action shotgun can be had for < $200 in the form of the Maverick 88 (essentially a simplified Mossberg Model 500). I would get it with the 18.5" (6-shot) or 20" (8-shot) "security" model.

For .38spl, it's going to depend on your weapon. I've heard good thing about Speer Gold Dot and Remington Golden Saber rounds. If your revolver can handle +P or +P+, even better.

3. WooleyBooger

Anybody else?

4. WooleyBooger

How would i know if my gun can handle +P or +P+? Is it a matter of shooting some and see how well it does, or is it possible they are not compatible with my gun? It is an older model...

5. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Read up on what the manufacturer recommends. The ability to handle +P / +P+ rounds seems to be the only thing that keeps .38SPL revolvers on the market anymore given that a comparable .357 revolver isn't appreciably larger.

If your revolver is not rated for +P or +P+ (some might be able to handle it but not be rated for it - ask around about it on gun forums and do some research) then I would not recommend using those rounds in it; the reason that .357 was originally designed to be longer than .38SPL was to render the round incompatible with .38SPL revolvers not designed to handle its much-greater pressure - not due to a lack of power capacity in the .38SPL cartridge.

.38SPL isn't an awful self-defense round at standard pressure - its muzzle energy is between that of .380 auto and 9mm. There are thousands of police officers that carry backup guns in .38SPL.

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Pistol grips are retarded, you'll be aim to aim much more effectively and deal with the recoil much easier with a stock. Leave the pistol grips for movies or for fun at the range.

You want 00 buck. Nothing that will go through enough of a bad guy will be stopped by a few layers of dry wall. You might want to consider the layout of your house and determine which directions might be safe to shoot toward and which wouldn't. The same applies with .38

Is your gun +P rated and what is the barrel length? S&W revolvers will often have +P stamped on the barrel if they're rated for it.

7. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Thats a tough one with the little tyke around. I dont think I'd want to have the shotgun around and loaded with the child around. The only good way to secure the shotgun would be in a full size safe and that would make accessing it a little slow in an emergency.

It sounds like you have a decent system for the .38 right now and I might stick with that system. I would consider maybe trading in that .38 though for something with a bit more kick to it. Maybe look at something in a .40 s&w or a .357 if you want to stick with a revolver. That will be significantly better for hd than the .38.

That is just my thoughts, I would probably try to trade up or purchase a little more powerful handgun and just stick with that till the little fella is old enough to teach him to respect guns and you feel safe keeping the shotgun around and at the ready.

8. Dr. Fuckface

Dr. Fuckface Wheelguns: when it absolutely, positively has to g

personally, I'm one for spending money on the shooter, not the gun. Training + a lot of rounds downrange > new gun. That's just me, though.

What model is the revolver? .38 +P will do fine if you're good enough to put it where it matters.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

EVERYTHING that is powerful enough to be an effective home defense weapon will be able to over-prenetrate walls. So be careful what you shoot if others are in your home.

00 buck is what I recommend for home defense. It had the least over-penetration through drywall (but will still go through at least one or two walls, so be sure of your target and what's beyond it!)

Traditional handgun/rifle bullets and shotgun slugs have lots more penetration. Overall, it's still extremely important to know your target, and what's beyond. But a shotgun with 00 buck is an excellent choice -- and one that I used for several years. Now I am switching to my AR-15, however.