Advice: Full clean install of Leopard v. what to backup

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TurkeyChicken, Jul 21, 2008.

1. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

Alright, so I've had my powerbook for over 3 years now. when I installed leopard (bought it the day it came out :cool: ) I just upgraded and pretty much all my old Tiger stuff was left in tact.

What i've found out is this has lead to a few issues with the apache/php stuff and I've got a ton of legacy shit laying around.

I want to do a full clean install just to flush everything and start over.

Questions:

- What's the best way to backup my itunes library? I have all of my downloaded (non-purchased) on an external. The only music on my actual HD is my purchased / free itunes music. My computer doesn't have a DVD burner on it or I'd just do the "backup to disc" thing.

- Aside from backing up my bookmarks, what else should I remember to backup?

- I have a time machine backup from my current install of leopard... is it possible to grab shit off of that on a different install of leopard?

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

just copy the itunes folder from the music folder.

Address book, calendars, mail rules.

i wouldn't count on time machine, it freaks me out.

3. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

I should also export the itunes library XML file, right? I want to make sure all my song count data and play lists and stuff are still there after the reinstall too.

4. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

i tried that and maybe it was user error but it didnt save playlists ratings or counts.

5. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

Crap, I need to figure out how to save that info too :noes:

6. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

Just copy the whole iTunes folder like Xenon said

7. verbal

verbal Active Member

I just did this, and I had a time machine backup. I didn't use it though-- I just manually backed up everything I wanted saved.

Now I'm starting to think doing the time machine backups is a waste of time since I'm not really going to use it. I should probably just use the drive for something else now. Or maybe once I get everything setup back to where I want it, do a ONE time backup with it and use that as a restore when I want to start fresh in the future.

8. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

That would be the first backup TM makes then. I think you can choose the restore point.

Typically I just copy my user folder and pick out what I need after the fresh install. That contains everything you use anyway. I always reinstall apps.

9. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

i never do that, i just copy the whole folder and then replace the whole folder after the clean install.

works flawlessly everytime.

awesome for keeping my all time play counts. and you can make some badass smart playlists after it has all this data.

10. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

I think this is what i'll do. I'll weed out any useless junk first.

I might try to keep a few apps... like SubEthaEdit and stuff that used to be free but no longer is and is really hard to find :x:

11. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

wtf is subethaedit

12. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/

Only one of the most badass easy to use low memory using text editors ever.

Full syntax highlighting and everything.

//edit. Used to be free... now it's 29 euros :eek4:

13. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

Save your damn .ds store files and preference folder!

I just upgraded from an 80g to a 160g to hold my garage band loops and CS3 brushes and I forgot so many things..... It took me 2 full days 12 hours each to get set back up the way I wanted.

First I forgot my itunes library prefs, currently my phone is hacked all to hell and I have to re-install the old HD to get the files so I don't have to reformat my phone.

Then I forgot my custom wallpapers and icons for CandyBar so I toured the net for about 3 hours getting all that.....

[​IMG]

Then I forgot my .ds store files for my folder settings which I have a very specific color and layout for.

[​IMG]

Then I forgot my receipts folder for my applications and had to reload 128 apps one by one and re-license every single one.

Then I had to setup little snitch and SAFT all over again because I didn't drag my prefs from that either.

Then I forgot my stacks prefs which I like a very certain way.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I remembered my Mail folder, but not my mail prefs file so I had to re-set all my rules.

Then I forgot my widgets folder so I had to track down all the F'king widgets on the net and re-install them and set them up.

I had 5,000 fonts, 450 presets for Logic and Final Cut, and 800 CS3 brushes that were on a disk, but had I copied the folders they were in I could have dropped them back in place and reindexed them in a matter of minutes rather than re-install everything (another 5 hours).

In short......... There's so much shit you don't think about when transferring over that if you like your shit setup a certain way like I do it's gonna take two days of your life to get it back right...........

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  14. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

Holy shit dude :eek4:

I'll have to pay a little more attention to what i backup :run:

15. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

Find iTunes folder, backup folder, paste folder onto same location on new HD.