GUN Advice for the GF (ie. teach a girl to shoot)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by no7fish, Nov 13, 2008.

1. no7fish

no7fish New Member

So the GF and I have been shooting a few times since I gave her a Sig P6. She likes it but at the same time it is a bit on the stiff side. The slide takes more effort to rack than she would like and the trigger is a bit on the stiff side. Both of these will improve with practice but she also gets to shoot my HK .40 and Kimber as well so it's not a huge deal. We'll upgrade her weapon once she gets around a little and decides what she really wants. (And when she moves out from living with a couple anti's, one of which owns the house...)

Anyway, so the P6 isn't ideal but it's functional, fits her hand, and doesn't recoil that bad. I think the trigger may be adding to her flinching (well, exposing it really) since it sometimes stops moving and then takes an additional effort to fire.

Her main problems are the typical femal-shooter-lean, a bit of flinching but we can cure that with practice I think, and she's doing a bit of limp-wristing. I've talked to her about not stiff-arming it and let her elbows bend a bit and she can't seem to stiffen her wrist or loosen her arm to make it rise instead of twist at her wrist. I've also tried to get her to put a foot forward and lean on that instead of standing square and leaning back. That part seems to be working so once she gets used to it and stops leaning back we'll start talking about her footing options.

So the question here is do any of you have any advice on how to tackle the girl-specific habits? Is there any sort of online resources for female shooters?

2. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Sounds like you covered all the basics.

Is she keeping her eyes open? Don't ask her if she's keeping her eyes open she won't know, instead ask her if she sees her front sight recoil up.

3. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

get some snap caps and mix them in with the rounds in the mag so she doesn't know which round coming up is live or not. It'll show her how she's flinching and she can work on it from there.

and she shouldn't be standing weaver style. get her to stand square and lean FORWARD, not back. Sounds to me like there is a bit of fear on her side.

4. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

+1 on the snap caps.

As for the stance there's nothing wrong with a weaver stance if you do it right. I personally use a modified weaver and it works well for me. Have her try the weaver, modified weaver, isosceles etc and see what's most natural for her.

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/29862_guns-stance-weaver.htm

Especially focus on her arm position and her grip. I think yar had a great thread about about thumb-forward grip and when I learned to really focus on getting the grip right every time everything got faster and tighter (groups, acquisition, etc.) I think improving the grip alone should help a lot with the limp wristing.

5. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

As you observed, girls have a natural tendency to lean back instead of forward, particularly if they are carrying any extra ballast above the belt. She may be more comfortable while learning to wear a sports bra when she shoots.

Depending on arm strength, she may want to try having her strong arm at full extension. With a safe gun, give a push-pull on the weapon to get her the feel of pushing the gun out with her strong arm and pulling back with her weak to brace it firmly. The P6 is good thinking size-wise, but lots of dryfire or maybe some Grayguns work should be done to smooth out the trigger for her.

Don't forget to balance a quarter for sight focus and trigger pull exercise.

Going overboard can ruin the experience, but I've always had luck having her start with something each range session a little bigger (.44spc, .357mag), then go back to the 9mm. Couple rounds with the bigger stuff, and the 9mm feels like a .22

6. xpinchx

kellyclan every time I look at your av I have to think how bad that balaclava is. I think I'm going to order one right now for snowboarding season. :o

7. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

makes a huge difference in a positive direction towards accuracy :cool:

8. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Thanks guys. Yeah, we've been dealing with the grip a little because she naturally grabs it with her left thumb over the back. While that's not necessarily a bad thing, I did urge her to put it forward to keep it away from the slide. I figured if she cut her thumb she won't be very ready to shoot more...

As for the stance, I was going to get her into standing square later but with her left foot forward it's easier to get her to confidently lean into the weapon rather than feeling like she has to lean away from it. She isn't really afraid of it but she does lack confidence in controlling the recoil. Part of it is going to be practice and getting her used to it, confident that it's not going to jump up and slap her in the face, etc. I want her to decide on a stance she likes but for now I was aiming to get her on a good platform to cure the lean and feel stable before addressing that. Sensible?

I think the biggest problem is her arms. Her grip is good I think and she caught on to the opposing force kinda thing, push one hand into the other, but she is letting it flop around because she's pushing her arms out and her wrists end up with all the work. Maybe you're right about it being fear... I guess I just don't know how to describe to her what to do with her arms and how to loosen here, tighten there, etc. in a way she can make it happen.

Maybe I need to read up on arm position since i haven't studied it that much... Might help me a good bit too!

edit- good idea on the pushing on the weapon thing, I'll try that. Am I right in thinking she needs to pivot at the elbow more in order to keep the weapon from rotating in her hand? I just don't know how to convey that....

9. xpinchx

Here's a good website on stances, shows a lot of detail about arm position.

http://www.corneredcat.com/Basics/stance.aspx

For my girlfriend I had her start with the "modern isosceles" because you naturally lean forward, but she was having limp wristing issues too so I had her drop her left elbow a little bit and bend her right elbow just a hair and modified her grip to thumbs forward and she shot like a champ. I'm not a pro on grips but what I think was most useful for controlling the muzzle flip and limp wristing was really jamming the back of the gun into the web between her thumb and index finger.

10. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Awesome, that's the kinda info I was hoping for! Thanks guys.

I think I was doing a poor job of teaching her a modern isoceles, basically because I hadn't done the research to get them all straight. My stance is sort of a mixture of these and I like to change it a bit at times just to whatever feels right. I realize that's probably not ideal for target shooting but I like being flexible rather than tied to a stance.

Anyway, I'll go through this with her and I think the arm positions will help a ton. I think I'll also go through each of these myself and see how they all feel for me, should make me a better shooter at the same time. I was afraid I might learn something useful in all of this! YAY

11. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Stance is the biggest problem I've had with girls shooting, or really any new shooter for that matter. Every single time I tell them to lean forward, they stick their crotch forward and lean their upper body even further back.