Advice for runners?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Special, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Special

Special I have nipples, can you milk me?

I run cross country and i need speed. I don't need extra muscle to carry when I run, I just need an appropriate amount to hold my form for 5 miles as fast as i can possibly run it. I'm well conditioned cardiovascularly, but my upper body gets tired around mile 3-4. What does f&n recommend?
    I still have 10-15 lbs of body fat to remove (i've been cutting the calories for a while).
    My weekly routine looks like this:

Monday: Distance run - 1 hour (averaging 6:45-7 min/mile)
    Tuesday: Speed Workout - 3 miles of fast paced run, with 1 mi warm up, 1 mi cool down. (avg fast pace: 5:45 min/mile) the fast paced run will increase to 5-6 miles when the season approaches next fall. The distance intervals vary from 1/2, 1, and 2 mile repeats
    Wednesday: Distance run - 50 min to 1 hour
    Thursday: Another speed workout
    Friday: Distance 40-50 min
    Saturday: either a short, quicker run (30 min at 6:45-7 min/mile) or a long, slow run (50 min - 1 hour at 8:00-8:30 min/mile)
    Sunday: rest

Last edited: May 3, 2006
  2. Elfling

Elfling New Member

I do a full-body workout twice a week- simple, nothing too heavy, just a push a pull and a legs, plus a little ab work. That's what most of my ultra-runner friends have recommended, though I'm still a baby distance runner.

3. dirtysouthboy

dirtysouthboy New Member

What gets tired on your upper body? You should keep your upper body really relaxed and just move your ams, Make sure you aren't clencing your fists and make sure that your arms aren't in a flexed position and that they are kinda just swinging. [​IMG] Also make sure that your upper body isn't in a forward leaning postion and keep your hips tilted so that your ass isn't sticking out real bad.

Last edited: May 3, 2006
  4. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

I had to run this past weekend... a keg I tossed bounced down a hill and was about to hit a passing car. that sucked.

5. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Upper body strength matters some in running, actually.

6. Special

That's what i've heard. From what I understand, a well conditioned upper body allows you to keep that form longer resulting in faster times

7. Special

Just the upper body in general. Near 3-4 miles of running fast, I just lose my form from getting worn out. My legs feel fine, my lungs feel fine, but my upper body gives

8. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

You run with your arms. If you have weak arm strength you're going to get the tired affect that you're now feeling.
    I would suggest push-ups and just overall arm/shoulder work and ab work as well. Make sure you're not making that "shrug" affect with your shoulders. This will tire you out as well.

Plus you might want to tapper off on doing too many long jogs per week. They should only be about 1 or two a week since you're trying to work on speed, but sounds like you're trying to work on speed and endurance.

I personally think you should work on your endurance first and then the speed will come. There's no way you're going to get faster if your upperbody endurance is lacking.

Also, focus more on negative splits rather than speed throughout the whole 3miles or whatever. Your jogs for time 30-40min should be where you're doing most of your speedwork when your endurance is improving.

9. knowledge

knowledge Bike Crew Lurker

Here's what I did when I ran xc in high school

2-4 days of 4-5 mile runs, decent pace
    1 day of 3/4 mile intervals, faster than race pace, preferrably on the toughest part of your home course or on a hill is great (you then turn around and jog what you just sprinted, try to do 5-6)
    1 day of long run, speed doesnt matter, 7-8 miles
    You can either then add in a fast paced 3 mile run or another 4-5 mile run.

Also, try to do half/three quarter mile warmups and cool downs every day you run.

Edit: I didn't lift when I ran, but it will definately help with endurance

Also, don't just jump into this. If you are just beginning, start with like 10-15 miles a week and increase 10-15% weekly.

10. Special

thanks, it's good to hear another routine.

11. Special

I'll keep all of this in mind, thanks :)
    I'll give the pushups and situps a shot. I've been doing them for almost two weeks now, so we'll see how they affect me in a month or two

12. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

They help me out when marathon training.

Good luck to ya! :bigthumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.