Advice for new computer v.isearchedbutwantyouropinionsanyway

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by The Boy Bastard, Aug 18, 2003.

1. The Boy Bastard

The Boy Bastard Bewbie's??

OK, so I did a search but nothing definitive for what I want. Besides, this stuff changes so much a reply to a thread 2 months ago may not apply today.

I am looking for a system I can do moderate gaming, video editing (digital camera clips, etc.) and burning of CD’s/ dvd's (for music, movies and PS2 backups). I was thinking the 2.4 Ghz range with 1 gig of RAM and of course the ability to expand if need be. I need everything such as the case, power supply, etc. I do not need top of the line, but definitely something that will last on a moderate budget. Under $1000 is preferable, but willing to go over.

Thanks for the help.

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

You can do what you describe under $1000US (actually, you can almost do it under $1000 Canadian). Check newegg.com

3. The Boy Bastard

Thanks. I am looking for recommendations on particular hardware, like video card, and over all system configuration.

4. jdub12

jdub12 New Member

P4 2.4 or 2.6 with 512 or more Corsair Memory. Asus P4C800E Dlx mobo, and over clock that shit. most users are seeing like at least 800ghz increase in those processors. I would get some SATA raptor drives if you can afford them. Put two of those things on a RAID 0 config.... :cool:

Anyways, youll probably want to look into another form of cooling whether it be upgraded hs/fan or waterblocks. HS/Fan would be sufficient for a decent overclock. As far as video cards, i hear the radeon 9800 pro is the best of the best.

You could probably get the mobo, memory, processor and videocard for around a 1g

5. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

A 2.4 GHz P4C is a great place to start.
    The Abit IS7 offers good performance and features at a good price - includes firewire for the DV.
    Doesn't sound like you really need to do a lot of overclocking, so stock HSF should be okay.
    I would probably suggest a GeForce FX5600 with VIVO which you should be able to snag for less than $150. That would allow you to game as well as capture video from a vcr or whatever.

6. jdub12

jdub12 New Member

Ive heard of a lot of problems with the Abit IS7, or maybe thats the IC7. Anyways, whichever one you pick you should do your research.

7. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

Just out of curiosity, what kind of problems?
    I did research on it before building two systems for other people around it and it made out pretty well in reviews.
    There was an issue with using Celerons less than 2.0 GHz, but other than that, I didn't run into any trouble.

8. jdub12

jdub12 New Member

Yeah i heard good reviews too on the IC7 and IC7-G boards but then i went to some forums and users are experiencing onboard mobo temp discrepencies and a lot of users are using their computers fine for like 10 to 15 mins then the computer just restarts.

When they are getting these restarts, they are at stock speeds, using fast enough ram, and stock gpu speeds with current drivers. If you go to abits forums, they say that lots of users there are having problems too. Hopefully their next BIOS update will cure these problems cause it seems like a good board. Ohh, and another user is experiencing unpredictable system hangs with no BSOD or error codes...just a hard restart and later on another. Most generally this happens he said when the computer is not under heavy intsense load. not bad mouthing this board at all...i wanted this one too, but i think i might wait a bit.

9. The Boy Bastard

Thanks for all the replies, this helps alot. Now I can start peicing stuff together. :bigthumb:

10. Penguin Man

BTW, if you're interested, here's what I priced out (Canadian prices shown). I think I'll order it this week, just gotta decide if I really want to spend the money:

Antec Sonata Mid Tower Case (black) w/ 380W PSU ($149)
    ASUS A7N8X-X NVIDIA nForce2-400 ($115)
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton) w/ 512K L2 cache ($134)
    Thermaltake Volcano 11+ (A1725) ($39)
    Samsung 512MB PC-3200 DDR400 SDRAM ($140)
    Maxtor 40.0GB Hard Drive ($86)
    ASUS V9520 Magic GeForce FX5200 128MB ($107)
    AOpen 56X OEM CD-ROM Drive ($31)
    Panasonic 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive OEM ($15)
    Linksys ProConnect Integrated KVM 2-port Switch w/ cable (KVM2KIT-CA) ($58)
    Windows 2000 Professional Full Upgrade ($225)

Subtotal: $1099
    With shipping & taxes: $1234.78

11. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

That list looks pretty good - just a couple of comments.
    You should be able to get a larger hard drive for about that same amount of money.
    That video card is okay if you don't do alot of serious gaming, but if you like the FPS and such, you might want something faster.

12. Penguin Man

I actually wasn't looking for comments, I already had a thread for that. And those were the first two comments. I don't do any gaming at all, so any 128meg video card is more than I need. Also, I couldn't find any larger hard drives without spending more money (keep in mind I'm in Canada), and I barely use half of my 12.5 as it is (and a gig of that is swap), so I really don't need any more than that. If anything I would go smaller.

13. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

Cool :bigthumb:

14. Penguin Man

:) Officially put in the order on Monday, so it should be shipped by now and it ought to be here beginning of next week I figure. I'll post pics when it gets here :big grin:

15. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Config I built last month:

P4C 2.4Ghz
    512MB Corsair XMS3700
    80GB Maxtor /w 8MB cache
    Chaintech Geforce FX 5200 /w DVI and S-vid
    Asus P4P800Dlx.
    Avermedia analog cap. card
    Audigy2 Platinum
    Liteon 52x32x52 CDRW
    Pioneer DVR-A06U dual format DVDRW
    Panasonic floppy
    Zalman 6500+CU cooler
    XP Pro
    MS Internet Mouse
    MS IntelliMouse Explorer
    Sony E540B 21" CRT
    Antec 1040-BII SOHO Fileserver case (/w 400W SmartPower ATX Supply)
    3M Precise Mousing Surface

all in all cost was just over $1900