Advice for my 58 year old dad?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by houseofdon, Dec 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. houseofdon

houseofdon Simplify Moderator

My dad's bought a new bike and has lost like 25 lbs over the past year...looking better than I can ever remember in over 20 years.

My mom, who's a health nut, and I have been talking to him about adding some resistance training to his exercise routine (that's right, a mom who advocates strength training :coold:). Anyway, he just joined the same gym as my mom, so he'll have access to absolutely everything you could need.

Any advice I should give him? Obviously, at that age, he's not too concerned about getting huge, more just general wellness and strength as he ages. I thought compound lifts at medium weight for 6-10 reps/set. What should I tell him?

If you guys know of any books that are out there on the subject that'd be perfect as I've yet to buy him a Christmas present :noes:

Thanks guys!

2. houseofdon

houseofdon Simplify Moderator

Also, he's been riding about 15 miles 5 times a week on his bike, and is worried about losing his gains during the winter as he can't see himself spending that much time on a stationary bike. He lives in a semi-rural area, so it's easy for him to stay motivated for his rides b/c he's got beautiful land to ride in. Obviously, the scenery in the gym won't be as nice, unless a hottie is working out nearby :naughty:

Any lifts that might help maintain his biking ability? Squats?

3. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

Any kind of leg work seems like it would be beneficial. I'd suggest compound movements (deadlifts, squats, etc) to help build some muscle and increase his bone density. Just have him go light.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.