Advice for lat asymmetry

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Vector, Jun 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vector

Vector New Member

I had a shoulder injury several (10?) years ago that, despite physical therapy and the doctors saying everything would be fine, I never completely recovered from.

In the last 4-5 months or so I've been trying hard to tone up and possibly gain at least some amount of muscle. I had never really done pullups before but have been trying do them regularly now based on everything I've read. But last night I noticed a bit of asymmetry between my lats with the larger one on my good shoulder. My guess is that I'm subconsciously favoring the good shoulder over the bad one.

Any advice on what I do to start to remedy this? Should I just switch to single arm pulldowns on the smaller side and give the strong side a break? Or should I just continue to do pullups and cut the reps a bit so I can focus harder on ensuring that the weaker side is doing more of the work? Or maybe I'm just out of luck since I have a weak shoulder?

2. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

everyone has asymmetry. you're fine.

3. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

Use a Free motion machine and do both at the same time or do single arm movements only for awhile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.