GUN Advice for first handgun.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Fairwind44, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Fairwind44

Fairwind44 New Member

I am looking to buy my first handgun. so far i have narrowed it down to an auto. now i'm on the cal. can't figure on .45 or .40. advice pls? maybe personal experience to.

2. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

What are you going to be using it for? Carry? Range only? What is your price range?

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

9mm is a good choice too for a first handgun. If you want it for self defense it will work just fine with the right ammo. Ammo is also cheaper so you can shoot it more.

I'm a fan of Glocks and Sigs and 1911s. Let us know how much you want to spend and if you want a fullsized or compact gun.

4. Fairwind44

Fairwind44 New Member

It is meant primarily for concealed carry w/ moderate range use.

5. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Glock:

G26 - 9mm
    G27 - .40 cal
    G30 - .45 cal

Springfield:

XD9 - 9mm
    XD40 - .40 cal
    XD compact - .45

FWIW, 9mm is a lot cheaper then .40 or .45, so you can shoot it more.

250 rounds of 9mm - 39.99
    250 rounds of .40 cal - 59.99 (IIRC)
    250 rounds of .45 cal - 74.99

YMMV

6. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

Im in the exact same situation as you right now. I turn 21 on Dec 2 and will buy one the day after (mine happens to fall on a Sunday). I am looking for a fullsized 9mm as it should teach me the basics and 9mm being a lot cheaper to shoot.

I am also looking for one that will be purely a range gun as the shotgun is the HD weapon. This means that accuracy is the prime factor being even though it will outshoot me for a long time.
    With these factors in mind, I am looking at the Sig 226, and am thinking about a local USP9 (its a 1993 though), M&P 9, USP 9, Walther P99. These are some you might want to look into.
    Everyone will always say one is better than the other so best bet would be to handle them to see what fits your hand the best. I like the larger ones like the sig and USP due to my freaking large ape hands.

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Try a bunch out, buy what you like best. What I love you might hate. Consider getting a 9mm, its quite a good performer and you'll be able to practice for less money. Being able to practice enough to hit where you're aiming is worth more than 5 hundredths of an inch of unexpanded diameter.

8. Jimmy Pop Cornholio

Jimmy Pop Cornholio forsakenisanidiot.info

Glock 26 is you are going to carry. I shot one today and it is a nice gun! If you are not going to carry then the Glock 19. I am a fan of 9mm because they are cheaper to shoot and the ammo is more abundant. If the SHTF you will have better luck finding 9mm than anything else plus you can carry more 9mm than anything else if you need to flee. All my handguns (exceot my DE .50ae) are 9mm for this reason.

9. MTech

MTech New Member

Do I really have to say it? :naughty:

Full Size M&P 9mm
    [​IMG]

10. Fairwind44

Fairwind44 New Member

ok, a lot of good points came up. but what about take down power and accuracy? obviously you don't need long range, handguns are for close up. but for a single shot, would a .45 would be how much better than a 9mm?

11. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

G30 conceals nicely and shoots pretty good too, I carry it occasionally.

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'd say start your reading here and decide for yourself
    http://www.firearmstactical.com/hwfe.htm

The constraint to 1 shot seems pointless. They'll all be more accurate than you are. A 9mm to the heart is better than a .45 to the shoulder. Gotta be able to practice and hit where you want.

13. MTech

MTech New Member

+1

if you were speaking about ball ammo than the obvious choice would be .45 but for SD you should be using HP's so you aren't shooting through somebody into the apartment next to you, or an innocent person behind the BG. Given the advances in modern technology if you use the recommended rounds you're going to get pretty much the same effects.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial,stencil]The following loads all demonstrate outstanding terminal performance and can be considered acceptable for duty/self-defense use:

9 mm:
    Barnes XPB 105 & 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
    Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
    Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)

[​IMG]
    [/FONT]

14. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

It would depend on far too many variables to get a consistent answer. Read the sticky.

15. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Fairwind, you still want the 10/22 parts or not?

16. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

The smaller the pistol, the less that people seem to like using them, so the less they're practiced with.

As far as "full size" pistols go, the Walther P99 looks like it ought be easy to conceal. It's a beast in .40 S&W, so I'd look for it in 9mm. Great ergonomics and available in DA/SA with decocker.

Worry about building up marksmanship abaility first, then obsess over the alleged "stopping power" of various cartridges. Know that the wound ballistics aren't overwhelmingly different between 9mm, .40S&W, and .45ACP. The energy steps up somewhat with each cartridge, but the wound channels and overall penetration tend to be similar.

I bought a 9mm pistol (G17), put a few thousand rounds though it and built up some skill. Afterwards I bought a .357 revolver and struggled with it somewhat, but the different mechanics of revolver shooting and its mass helped me get decent with it. I then bought a .45ACP pistol (G21) and went through about 500 rounds struggling to approach the accuracy of my 9mm. I stopped shooting it for a while, bought another .45ACP pistol (P220), and have the same problem all over again. It's an expensive proposition that drives some people into reloading.

Depending on who you ask, either .32ACP or .380ACP is the minimum acceptable pistol cartridge for self-defence. 9mm is significantly more powerful than both.

17. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Or .38 spl to some even ;)

Handguns suck, never forget that. :big grin: