Advice for detailing F355 v. :ohnoes:

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by ubshtoopid, Jun 4, 2006.

1. ubshtoopid

ubshtoopid New Member

Later this week I will be detailing a 1997 F355 by hand and need some product advice. I feel I am definitely capable of doing this but I need to know which products to use that I can easily get locally as I don't think I have enough time to order them. The products also need to be applicable by hand because I do not have a buffer nor do I have experience with one so I won't want this to be my first time using one.

I have looked at the product recommendations thread and saw that the Meguiars NXT tech wax should be sold locally. The car was fully detailed in November and has only been out of the garage a couple of times since. Is it recommened that I use the NXT only or is there another combination of products I should use? The car really only needs a good coat to protect the paint and bring out the shine.

Thanks for the help.

Cliffs: What products can I buy locally to detail a Ferrari F355 by hand and not fuck it up?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I'd go with Meguiars #9 to polish and either NXT Paste or #26 to seal. If the car is red, I am pretty sure it is single stage paint (the '96 348 Spider I regularly clean is) so don't be worried if you get some color transfer.

3. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Um.
    This is just my personal oppinion. But if you have to ask what you use on a Ferrari to properly detail it, youre not ready to detail a Ferrari.

4. ubshtoopid

ubshtoopid New Member

Thanks, but I've managed to do just fine on the other 4 Porsches that this guy owns. I had previously only used commonly found products and was looking for advice on better products as I really want this to look good when it's done.

5. ubshtoopid

ubshtoopid New Member

Thanks a lot I'll pick those two up later this week along with some microfiber towels.

6. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd: I don't care what kind of car it is, no one should be detailing for money when they haven't a clue what products there are out there, how to effectively choose the right product for a certain type of job, and how to use the products correctly. I don't even care how the cars may look when finished, because chances are either (1) you used dangerous procedures to get there, or (2) whatever you did took twice as long as it should've had to for the results.

7. ubshtoopid

ubshtoopid New Member

So because I had to ask for advice on new products I am not capable of detailing a car? I thought the purpose of this forum was to acquire advice on how to best do a job.

8. shiba

shiba Active Member

you two need to chill. I have never heard of a specific way that you're suppose to detail a ferrari. The man is just asking for product recommendation.

have you tried zaino? i've heard good things about it.

9. ubshtoopid

ubshtoopid New Member

I've not tried Zaino, but I will look into it. I want the car to look good, but more than anything I just want to put a nice polish and wax on it to protect until fall when it is being shipped to south Florida. Thanks for the advice so far Scott and shiba.

10. ubshtoopid

ubshtoopid New Member

I just found an almost full bottle of Meguiars #26 with the rest of my detailing supplies. If it has been stored at room temperature will it still be good after 3 years or so?

11. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that about doing it FOR MONEY, for a customer/client (assuming this isn't a friend or family member). When you detail for a customer who isn't a friend or family member, that person assumes you to be a professional. If the results you give them are less than those a person with experience can deliver, you give other professionals a bad name. That's all there is to it.

I'm not saying you're incapable of detailing, just stating my opinion on what constitutes someone who should or should not be detailing for profit.:noes:

12. ubshtoopid

ubshtoopid New Member

I've done work for the guy off and on for 10 years and have been detailing his 3 Porsche 928s, 996, and Mercedes S500 and he has been really happy with it. I understand your point but at no time did I mention I was a professional or claimed to be one. Since I have last detailed his cars I have seen on here that there are many other products that are probably better that I have not used. All I wanted was advice on a product to use that would give me good results.

So, yes, you would have a valid point had I claimed to be a professional and didn't know what to use. But instead my thread was hijacked by people assuming that I am not capable of detailing a car. Even professionals need to find out about new and/or better products which is, to my knowledge, one of the purposes of this forum.

13. Scottwax

It may have seperated but if you shake the crap out of it and it mixes back up, you are good to go. #26 will leave a very deep finish on red and black paint especially.

14. ubshtoopid

ubshtoopid New Member

What about yellow? Is there something different/better I should use to accent the yellow?

15. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Well, its not even about being a "professional" or not. Its just a matter of perseption. If your detailing a premium automobile, then the feeling is tha tyou also use a premium product to do it with. And as such, you are a premium quality detailer for doing so.

Typically i find people who own Porsches, or Ferrraris, are very passionate, and knowledgable about their cars, and what is done to them, and how its done. And often times they ask to be walked through the process, and quiz me on new products, and ask what benefit one may offer over another that i had previously used on their vehicle. And they wont accept the "well, some guys on the internet told me it was good" as an answer.

Obviously this guy is preaty cool, and has a good personal repore with you, and likes to throw you the business as a favor. But none the less it pays to educate yourself on as many products as you can, and then find the products that work best for you through the occasionally expensive process of trial and error. And know them intimately so when someone does ask "why do you use *blank* instead of *blank*" you can say "well, i find product A gives a bteer result on this paint color/paint type and/or i find it easier to use". Being able to talk the talk, and speak in an educated manor goes a LOOOONG way in improving the way that people precieve you as being a good detailer.

Thats really the point.
    If your going to be working on cars of that calibur, you owe it to yourself to learn about the products, and be able to make an informed decision on them, rather then just relying on what other people tell you to do. Becuase if you do that, you will never learn anything, and will eventually ind yourself ina situation where you will be in trouble, and not know how to get out of it.

So i hope you under stand our skeptisism, and why we are trying to get you to do the looking for yourself.

That said, treat a yellow car in alot of the same ways you would treat a white car. The yellow will help to hide some of the swirls, so thats not as big of a deal. But you should shoot for products that bring out the wet look of the paint. So that it gets a deep glow to it. That would look best.

16. Scottwax

Yellow? Personally, I'd go with the Werkstatt twins, Prime and Acrylic Jett. #26 or NXT Paste will also look really good.

17. ubshtoopid

ubshtoopid New Member

I guess what I'll do is #9 and #26 for now and then order some of the other products and give them a try on my car. Then I'll do the Ferrari again later in the summer before it's shipped to Florida.

And, I'll do my best to get pics. This car is beautiful. 1997 F355 Spider, yellow with 6,000 miles.

18. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

How is Werkstatt Prime by hand, Scott? I loaned my PC out and am anxious to get busy with my new products but I don't want to waste effort if I really should be waiting to get the PC back.