Advice for car subs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Alenon12, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Alenon12

Alenon12 Save the cheerleader....save the world

Im currently in the process of upgrading my already upgraded stereo and was just looking for a bit of advice for some new subs. For me, mids and high's are more important than anything, i could care less about being felt from 2 blocks away but i'd like them to hear the lyrics from that far :p Either way i gotta have the low end base to even out the rest. Currently using CDT components in the front, dont really care much about the rear fill. Im using a pair of MTX 8000 12's right now but for the power needed to push em i can get a different pair of subs that require much less and sound about the same, which isnt that good.

I listen to all types of music but most of the stuff i listen to in the car is club trance or punk style, so faster paced. Ill stick with an enclosed box and im thinkin probably just 2 12's again but im searching for subs with lots of tightness. Not much for the low rumbling, rather have tight hard single hits. Been thinkin about elemental design, friend of mine got a 15 and i couldnt believe the tightness in that. Any help or info would be appreciated.

2. rebs

rebs shares AIDS OT Supporter

the Image Dynamics IDQ is a very clean, efficient sub. But cleanliness has more to do with how clean the power source is than the speaker its driving.

3. Alenon12

Alenon12 Save the cheerleader....save the world

well im currently running a mtx 6500d back there, its been good to me but i'll probably get a new amp with the subs.

4. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

I have 2 13ov2's from eD and am happy with them. They sound great and can hit a decent SPL if you want them to. They are by no means a SPL comp speaker but I give them a Thumbs up 4 thumbs up when compared to Kicker and on Par with JL.

My 2 cents as a consumer.

5. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

how much money do u want to spned?

6. ad kapone

ad kapone New Member

If you want a tight sound go for 2 10's

7. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

It all depends on the efficency of the driver and the clenliness of the amp as already stated.

Size has nothing to do with it.

8. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

that has some truth to it, however, when building systems for tight bass, most people generally use 10's in a sealed enclosure to achieve this. 10's for the most part are right on for the type of bass that he is looking for.

I'd probably run 2 or 3 Diamond D3 or D6 10's, with 600-1000 watts. Diamonds are perfect for tight bass. sounds big right? remember, sealed boxes "work a little harder" than ported enclosures. they don't have the port to help enhance output (to put it in layman's terms)