MMA Advice for beginning bjj student

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Searcher, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Searcher

Searcher New Member

Title says it all.....

I don't have much of an attitude so that won't be a problem....I mean more of what I should really work at in the beginning.....Things you wish you would have learned from early on, that type of stuff.......

2. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

Dont get discouraged by getting dominated, and work your escapes a lot.

3. Optamix

Optamix New Member

This is the one piece of advice I wish someone had told me when I started.

Position before submission. You will want to learn all the submisions really quickly to tap people. But learn how to dominate position first.

Learn how to take side mount and hold it(even if you don't know what to do with it). Learn a good safe guard. Learn how to posture and be safe in someone elses.

Learn to mount and hold it(this is HARD sometimes). I'm a blue belt and I have trouble holding mount on some of the bigger good guys. It takes lots of time to learn how to hold these positions.

If you take a position and try a submission with out having that position secured they will escape everytime.

oh.

And forget about the head. Never try to control the head. Control the hips. Always keep hip control.

4. Searcher

Searcher New Member

Sweet thanks for all the great advice.....I will keep that in mind....

On a side note.....do you think it will be ok if I lift before taking class.......My schedule would be something like this

M- 5-6:30 lift upper body, 7:25 bjj
    Tu- 5-6:30 lift lower body, 7:25 bjj
    W- rest
    Th- repeat Monday
    F-rest
    Sat- 10am bjj, 12-1 lift lower body
    Sun- rest

5. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Focus on drilling the basics, if you can, drill with a partner on armbars/HIP OUTS!!/triangles/umpa escape/etc.

I can't stress this enough, drill until you hate them, drill until you can do them while you're sleeping, and drill the hip outs!

Hip outs are so important in building a base for your escapes and bringin them back into your guard.

6. Searcher

Searcher New Member

My workouts are maintenance workouts.....Not trying to get big......

I will put as much effort as I can into class......

7. MyLittleAirport

:confused:

Those and a couple other things were the very first things I've learned my first day of BJJ. Its not like I'm telling him to drill omoplatas or some complex sweep. Those out the fundamentals, what else did you expect him to learn?

8. MyLittleAirport

Look man, don't go in there expecting you're going to fight for your life. I've rolled with many noobies and the one thing they always do is spaz out or go 100% out and then they gas in like 2-3 minutes.

#1 thing to do is relax man.

9. Searcher

Searcher New Member

I understand what you are saying.....What I meant is that I will give 100% in class when it is time.....I fully expect to gas regardless because I am out of shape.....

10. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

skip the lifting for two weeks, youll be wasted before class is halfway over your first week anyways, lifting will just make it harder. let your body get used to the workout before you go back. especially if you said you were just out of shape.

my opinion anyways :dunno:

11. Searcher

Searcher New Member

Cardiovascularly I am out of shape....Muscularly I am fine.....I am worried about loosing muscle, but not so much that it will interfere with classes....I am really excited about this experience....I am hoping I will learn something very enjoyable and be able to cut some fat....

12. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

listen to this guy, don't lift at first and if you still can then lift but honestly i lift regularly and train bjj and at first with the bjj i had to quit lifting for awhile because i was too worn out and bruised lol and i started having lower back strains and shit so i had to cut back the lifting, now i am back to it but it's been several months since i started Bjj, at 1st oh boy cut the lifting to minimum for sure.

13. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Focus only on the absolute most basic techniques and concepts for the first few months. Spend as much time as you can on the mat and learn to RELAX and flow rather than force things and use too much muscle. Take notes on the basics and the details of them and roll with the best people that you can.

14. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

and the cardio is all that will matter in the beginning, trust me. you will hurt in places and muscle groups you never knew you had.

just my reccomendations, i remember my first weeks, and the first weeks of other people. or even my first time working out with diffrent instructors that ran things diffrently, its always interesting to see what hurts the next day.

15. Searcher

Searcher New Member

Yeah I agree with you guys completely.......I will only do maintenance lifting so I won't be worn out from that and put in maximum effort to bjj class.....

Do you have any advice for a big guy starting out......I don't want to solely rely on my strength and I don't know how to really over come that....I am thinking just really try and focus on technique, but when I am rolling against someone that will probably be smaller than me and I don't want to be submitted I know in the beginning I will rely on my strength to get out of situations....For reference I am 6'4 285 at 23%bf......

16. Searcher

Searcher New Member

I agree with you 100% that I will gas.....I know this and I expect it....I am already having fun just thinking about the class....

Do you often run into a problem of people not letting go when you tap or is that not really prevelant.....

17. Searcher

Searcher New Member

I just don't want someone to be over zealous and pop something out of place on me.......but I am going in there thinking everyone will be cool.....

18. MyLittleAirport

Honestly, most BJJ ppl I know are very laid back and cool.

Wrestlers on the other hand..

19. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

let the technique work for you not strength

20. Ghost of Swayze

Ghost of Swayze Ofcourse you mad

Always be patient and relax.

21. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

i guess this is a good place to start. i want to enter a school soon. it teaches bjj, judo, kickboxing, boxing, and mma style standup and mat techniques. i dont know how good it is but i can tell you its the only one around.

22. Searcher

Searcher New Member

Good luck.....I think you will have a lot of fun in the class.....

23. MyLittleAirport

link to school's site?

24. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

25. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

I agree with what everyone else said about position before submission, and not getting discouraged when you get tapped.

I don't agree about that schedule being too much though. I've been doing weights at 6am every day, then striking/grappling from 5pm til 7:30 or 8. Plus usually 1 workout per day on the weekends. As long as your nutrition/supplementation are sufficient, and you're getting enough sleep you should be ok. Just get used to being sore all the time.