MIL advice for army basic

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by drklrdbill, Sep 21, 2007.

1. drklrdbill

drklrdbill Pimp

Ok, so I just graduated from college and did 3.5 years of ROTC. I got disenrolled my last semester for missing a PT test run by 8 seconds. I've had 4 knee surgeries from college football (division 3, so no scholarships), and had been off/on with my running (so my regional commander had a target on my back), mostly because I'm an ex-offensive lineman with a bad knee. Now, my knee should be good to go now, I do have to run with a brace, but it hasn't been sore for me all summer and my run times have been fine.

My question is since I've had a lot of ROTC training (laugh as you will, we all know what a joke ROTC is, but you still learn something), how should I handle this in Basic to get the least amount of shit? I don't think I'll tell anyone unless they ask, which I doubt they will, but I don't want to get the focus of the drill sergeant on the 22 year old who thinks he's too good for boot camp.

Also, are we allowed dip or anything while we're there? Because I'm leaving first week of October (taking the ASVAB monday, will I lock my MOS down when I'm at the recruiting station?, my recruiter has been pretty worthles so far), so I probably need to quit now. But I love dip so much.

I appreciate any advice.

2. greatwhite2006

greatwhite2006 New Member

actually within the first week of basic my platoon sgt asked us if any had any rotc/jrotc experience. You could just not tell them but really you're going to get noticed for something in basic no matter how hard you try to lay low.

Tobacco is forbidden in basic training, a couple of guys did manage to smuggle dip in my platoon. I really don't recommend it though, if you're caught you would probably be pulling extra duty for a week or so.

As for the MOS some people choose it at the recruiting station, but really it isn't final till you sign the papers at MEPS.

3. shiba

shiba Active Member

They disenrolled you after 3.5 years because of 8 seconds on a run? We had a guy who missed it by two minutes and stayed up at school after our graduation just taking PT test and running till he passed. Only took him 8 tries. I'm guessing theres more to your story than whats here.

Basically you should just keep your mouth shut about ROTC and you should be fine. ROTC is the last thing on anyone's mind in basic and they will only find out when you tell them.

no dipping allowed during training.

make sure you get your E4 for college credits.

4. drklrdbill

drklrdbill Pimp

Well, my school costs 40k/year and the regional commander had never met me, but all he knew was that I was off/on with my PT test over my 4 years. But I passed it each time it counted.

But my summer between my Junior/Senior years when I went to LDAC, I strained my knee again running about 2 weeks before I left, and failed my run there by about 30 seconds. So I got sent home, the new battalion commander let me stay, and I passed my PT test that 1st semester of senior year. then, i came back after winter break (should have definitely been on profile, there was a loose piece of cartilage that would cause my knee to lock out when I'd just walk around, but I could still run on it, but I'd be sore all day, I just didn't want to deal with being on profile again, all the other ROTC cadets thought I was a pussy and just trying to abuse my football status) and missed it by 8 seconds. the regional commander told my battalion commander that I had no more chances and he either cuts me, or he gets the axe (well that's what my LTC told me), so yeah, it sucked. I admit, I kinda fucked up, but oh well, life goes on.

5. drklrdbill

drklrdbill Pimp

And I just had my last procedure done in May to remove that loose piece of cartilage and everything has been 100%, but yeah, I screwed up not going on profile again.

6. MassiveGas

MassiveGas OT Supporter

:hsugh: if you get noticed your inviso-skills suck
    i'm fucking stealth, motherfucker

7. Kira Yamato

Kira Yamato New Member

i laid low till white phase, drill sgt was like "Hey tall ass asian kid, that never talks" i never talked unless spoken too

rule 1-3, just listen carefully when shit comes out of your DS's mouth

seriously it sucks when everyone gets fucked for 2 or 3 pvts fuck ups.

rule 4 dont hide shit in the ceiling.

8. MassiveGas

MassiveGas OT Supporter

rule 5
    don't get caught looking in the ceiling to see if anyone from a previous cycle left anything :hs:

9. greatwhite2006

greatwhite2006 New Member

lol, i have white ass blonde hair so i didn't even bother trying to lay low, good thing is that i was on DS's goodside most the time.

10. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I can only offer once piece of advice:

Remember that when you get to basic training and you are at the reception battalion, nobody there knows any more than you do. They have never been through this either. Some guys will act like they know what they are doing. They don't. My sister told me that was the best advice anybody could have given her.

11. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

you don't wanna be an officer w/ pt test scores like that anyway... trust me on that one.

12. drklrdbill

drklrdbill Pimp

well that's good to know, i should be able to cut my weight down to pre-college fb levels with basic / AIT. it was a tough balance, the football team always wanted me heavier, ROTC always wanted me lighter, so I tried to build muscle without getting fat, which is tough for a 6'3" 250 pound guy.

also, i was going to do hpsp straight out of ROTC with an educational delay, so being an army doctor, I wouldn't be a line officer anyway, so as long as I passed my pt test, I don't think people would care. my dad is a COL chaplain, so I know what it's like to not really be a "real" officer.