SRS advice for a shy guy

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by cmac21, Jun 27, 2007.

1. cmac21

cmac21 New Member

it sucks, im in college which i should use to have as much fun as i can, but i tend not to drink much...my problem is i really only talk to people when i drink...granted i have a lot of friends, but its pretty much limited to the ones i have cuz i don't just talk to random people and i wish i could branch out from the friends i have and make more friends, but im weird about approaching people i don't know, or don't know very well....if anybody can give me ideas of how to get over that while not becoming an alcoholic that would be great

2. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

get involved with something on campus, intramural sports, clubs, etc

3. Pringles

Pringles New Member

why not do what you do when your drunk sober? That is not give a fuck, because at the end of the day do you really give a fuck?

4. cmac21

cmac21 New Member

never really thought about that......thanks

5. R.Kelly

R.Kelly OT Supporter

how about join a fraternity? I know a lot of people will flame me or some shit, but its good advice. You get to meet some cool people and lots of girls. As for drinking to open up, I am the same way. So I just slowly drink less and less everytime I go out. Seems to work.

6. l S3RG10 l

l S3RG10 l New Member

Just be who you are.

7. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

In the same boat dude, then I realized how superficial a lot of the shit in college can be. Now all I do is focus on what I need to get done, done. I focus on my classes so my GPA is good for law school and I study abroad as much as I can (3rd time this fall).

People don't keep up as much as you'd think after college. Sure, you might know someone somewhere who'll do a small favor for you or something, but not much beyond that. Just focus on taking care of your shit.

8. kilamasta

kilamasta New Member

You want to check out the Vaginarium. Lots of type about self-confidence in there. Even if it is aimed toward seducing, it applies to every social situation.

9. Pringles

Pringles New Member

I'll second the frat life comment.

10. Tehrod

Tehrod New Member

you said you only talk to people when you drink, so go out and drink more.

Don't drink more alcohol, just go to more social events with drunk people and practice socializing with random people like that. It'll eventually get to a point where it shouldn't matter. I think the worst part about being shy is the hesitation you have thinking that everything matters(looks, speech etc) but not really, most people just notice your personality, unless you belong to some stupid crowd of useless tools.

11. Justin Niggalake

Justin Niggalake New Member

:werd:

i was extremely shy in highschool. then i ran into a friend i knew from highschool that i hadn't seen in awhile due to college. we started going out to clubs and bars together and from there, it's been a piece of cake. now i consider myself a bit of a socialite (without the glam & $$ of course) and i run in tons of local circles.

just go out and be yourself. you'll be amazed at how easy it is to meet people.

12. Tehrod

Tehrod New Member

same story here except I just decided to hang out with a close friend of mine who was ina different crowd. Worked wonders, you just get into the vibe of meeting people and how to introduce yourself, what to say to make everyone laugh and stuff. :bowdown: to you

13. matth0llander

matth0llander New Member

you can always act more drunk than you really are. i knew a guy freshman year that didnt drink, but loved going out and meeting people at house parties anyway.. he was a playa. anyway i feel the same way as you and have been trying to drink less. i still end up getting wasted thou, haha. i actually introduced myself to a couple of random people last week at the bar that i didnt know at all. just dont think about it too much, go at it with good intentions and a positive attitude.

14. CrackityJones

CrackityJones OT Supporter

find something you're good at, and exploit the shit out of it. How big is your cock?

15. American SuperBeast

American SuperBeast New Member

i used to be like that
    That is until (as someone already said) i stopped giving a fuck
    it helped me a lot
    Not giving a shit about what other people think of you but at the same time still worrying about ur appearance. (i only say that because some people wont do that.

16. RTMWTF

RTMWTF Guest

only a dumbass from cal poly would say this., there is a complete difference inthe way your brain is working when you are drunk and when you are sober., it is much easier approaaching people when you are drunk

17. RandomDead

RandomDead Have your pets spayed or neutered

I don't have any first hand advice, because I became an alcoholic, and a pothead, to overcome your problem...but here's how I think it should go.

Don't be afraid of talking to people. I know it's sort of scary, but the worst that can happen is they'll tell you to go away. Look for people you might have common interests with, you should be able to spot them pretty easily.

Here's another thing, you're supposed to spend your time in college getting to know yourself and having fun. So start with the getting to know yourself so you can be comfortable with who you are and thus be more comfortable approaching others.

Most importantly remember, it's not High School. No one is going to make fun of you as long as you be yourself. Just don't be fake and try too hard to fit in.