MIL Advice for a recruit? v.25S MOS get in here!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by supramandrew87, Jul 26, 2006.

1. supramandrew87

supramandrew87 Picture Me Rollin OT Supporter

Hey all. I figured there is a good amount of knowledge and experience on these boards, so I'd ask a few questions.

I'm trying to figure out a good course of action when choosing my MOS.

My recruiter has offered me a few interesting choices, and I'd like to know if anyone has experience in these fields, or knows anything about them. I have a few others in mind, but these stood out among the others.

• 33W seems like something I'd be interested in, and my recruiter says it would set me up for a good post Army career. Top Secret clearance, good civilian field etc
    • 25S with Airborne option seems like something similar to the above, but with the bonus of going Airborne.
    Thanks in advance.

2. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

Don't know too much about 33W but as I am a 25S (along with 3 or 4 other guys on OT) at Fort Bragg (I'm a leg though) I might be able to help you out with that. I like the job, it's pretty good, plus in the field/deployed you just kinda hang out. But the one piece of advice that i'd give you is don't go airborne in your contract. That will pigeonhole you into the tactical side (which is what i do). The way you're gonna make money when you get out is with strategic (The big SATCOM terminals), plus if you're one of the top in your class you could get offered the 1C program (Satellite Controller). And if you're worried about civilian jobs in the Satcom field I have several friends that either just got out or are about to and all are starting out at > $100,000.

3. supramandrew87

Thanks for the reply. Got some good info.

I'd like to know a lil more though. Like what does a 25S do specifically? How did you choose this MOS? What kind of prerequisites are needed for this field?

I'll think of more later! :bigthumb:

4. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

http://www.us-army-info.com/pages/mos/signal/31s.html

5. supramandrew87

Yeah, I know about the rquirements because this was one of the jobs available to me. My recruiter put my scores and info into the computer and pulled up the list of available jobs.

I was wondering more from the 4 or so people who are already 25S, what does the job consist of? Whats a normal day like? What are the benefits or drawbacks of the job.

I tried PMing brownfield, but his box is full.

Thanks again.

6. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

Please tell me where these >100,000 jobs are. I was TACSAT and got out 4 years ago. I have had jobs paying around 50k to 75k in the satcomm field. In order to get a good job in satcomm nowadays you need to be just as strong in networking also. Just have Army satcomm will not get you the super high paying job.

Satcomm is fun, like brownfield said airborne will lock you to TActical Satcomm but if you plan on staying military for awhile then you can keep airborne and stay tacsat for your first tour then at reenlistment get the strategic job at an earth station.

My personal opinion If I could do over is to go into the networking side of things. The army will get you most of the certifications you need to do well outside of military. Having the networking opens much more jobs than just satcomm. IMO satcomm is getting harder and harder to get jobs for because everyone is moving to fiber.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  7. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

i'm a 25S at fort meade, I'm relatively fresh out of training so if you ask me some specific questions I will answer them

8. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

The 33W class is some 50+ weeks long, which is abit longer then your going to wanna be on Ft. Huachuca. My unit works abit of strategic SATCOM and it seems pretty chill.

9. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

what exactly is 33w?

10. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

11. supramandrew87

Sounds like a cool field to get into, since I've always been into computers/technology.

I wouldn't mind being in Huachuca, in fact, that's a bonus for me. My family is all in Tucson...I've got a sister getting married soon, and one trying for a baby, so being close is good for me. :bigthumb:

From what I'm gathering, 25S isn't the most "in demand" civilian sector, but there are still jobs available. Networking looks more promising.

I think I might wait to enlist until December, when this coming semester of school is over. Would I have a better list of jobs available to me?

Does any know much about the 25M field (Multimedia Illustrator)? I know this sounds kinda :mamoru: but it's what I;m going to school for, and I figure it wouldn't be so bad to look into.

Any other recommendations for good jobs to look into. My recruiter says I qualify for anything with passing physical, and a 93QT score.:bigthumb:

Thanks for ALL the help with this important decision.

12. SeaMack99

SeaMack99 OT Supporter

Well I aint got much to say but here goes.

Right now I'm at a strategic site. If I could do it all over again I would've tried to get tacsat and then tried to go to the strategic side. I find myself sometimes a little lazy. But with that said due to clearance issues in the begining I was stuck in my BN cable team. We basicly did all Cat5/6, fiber maintenance and installs for the three post around here. To me that was more fun and way more exciting. I think the market is way better for networking now than satcom. But if you can get certified in both (what I'm trying to do) you would be golden

just my .02

13. hooahrcr

hooahrcr Chris_Hearn

33W works ALOT with the Military Intel folks