Advice for a newbie? (Workout + Food)

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Freekill, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freekill

Freekill New Member

Perhaps this is the wrong way to approach this problem, but i need some help.

I have a 20? year old gym set in the basement (think separate exercises, stuck on 1 frame) that has a benchpress that doubles as a squat rack, barbells, a set of weight and pulley systems (one you pull up on, the other you pull down on), and a weighted leglift thing.

So thats all i have to work with. Im 5'11, 195, with maybe a centimeter of fat on my arms, and like an inch on my chest and stomach. The doctor says im fine (not medically overweight, relatively fit), but im looking to get more fit, both by increasing muscle strength and losing fat. The catch is, i dont know how to diet to lose the fat, without losing muscle too. Im looking for advice on food and exercise, with my goal being ~170 lbs (assuming i dont gain much weight in muscle, im fine with non fat-weight gain).

Thanks

P.S. Im 15 1/2, so i dont have free reign with my grocerys, nor do i have transportation to a gym, let alone the $$ to buy a membership.

2. RalphL

RalphL Active Member

got any pics of the barbell machine thing you're talking about. Give your mom a grocery list of things to buy. thats what i do

3. Freekill

Freekill New Member

4. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Tell your mom to stay stocked up on eggs, almonds, whole wheat bread, cold cuts (turkey), chicken breast, lettuce, fat free sugar free jello and pudding, and oatmeal ( i only eat oatmeal in the morning though because I'mcutting right now and only take in ~20g carbs in the morning and then another ~20 throughout the day.

5. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

barilla plus

you forgot to add that

6. Freekill

Freekill New Member

Wow.. that foods alot easier for me to get my hands on than i thought it would be.. i can definetly get most of that. Any idea what i should do for exercises though? Names are good, descriptions are even better. Im already spending an hour a day attempting to work out, and i can spend more.

7. Freekill

Freekill New Member

Heh, noodles... we're Italian, plenty of that around

8. texchef

texchef Guest

If you are Italian then you should call it pasta. :noes:

9. Freekill

Freekill New Member

Uh oh... my irish is showing :uh:

10. benny196

benny196 New Member

Maybe try doing some Barbell Complexes for cardio.

11. Freekill

Freekill New Member

Sure.. what are those though?
    I have some cardio, not a whole lot.. i mountain bike nearly every day in the warm weather.

12. Gym Star

Gym Star New Member

First off, tell your mom to buy you a sub and protein powder.
    Second, start building your core muscles (side planks, wall squats etc..) and do some pushups/pullups/sprints etc... take your protein before and after these workouts and you'll notice a difference, start off slow then work your way up

13. _Kanwisher!

_Kanwisher! Guest

take pics of how you look right this second wth your shirt off, don't try to make yourself look big or small, just pose and take pictures.

You'll thank yourself 3 years from now

14. lif

lif New Member

You sound serious about things, good luck. Lots of good advice in this thread so far.

Could you take some pictures of this so called aparatus so we could see exactly what your working with, it's hard to visualize.

15. _Kanwisher!

_Kanwisher! Guest

I can tell by your age and what you're saying that you seem motivated to actually take this serious for a lengthy period of time, and you might not even do it perfect for a year, but you'll constnatly learn new things and improve. Improvement for me seems to be the thing that keeps me coming back, good luck

16. Freekill

Freekill New Member

http://www.ironcompany.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1355

Its basically that plus an adjustable bench with a leg extension peice and a benchpress stand. Aside from that, my bike and barbells are all i have.

17. Freekill

Freekill New Member

I have family obligations during the few hours that the school gym is open.

18. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

that machine looks pretty good to start out. man, if i started at your age, i bet i'd be jacked by now. high metabolism and dedication when young will help you see growth fast.

you might want to save up some money for a barbell for bench presses and rows, and slowly save some more for plates - all you probably need for a year is a are 5,10,25,and 45lb plates, though i guess that can still be quite pricy.

i'd first make sure that your diet consists of 3000+ calories, since you seem pretty tall and heavy. split your meals into 5-6 portions a day. don't forget the tuna, as it's cheap and protein rich.

not sure what you can do with that machine that i'd personally do - maybe pullups and chinups. you can find more exercise info for cable machines (which i think you have) at exrx.net. i think i'd start out with more compound exercises than isos, since you're a beginner.

you should somehow incorporate squats into your routine. i don't know what's a good cheap way to add weights to your squats without a barbell - 5 gallon water jug?

other than that, read the stickies.

19. Freekill

Freekill New Member

Awesome, thanks. Already have a series of weights my dad bought and never used, including at least 4 25 lb plates and 2 45 lb'ers, and more 5-10 than ill ever use. Been doing squats with a bent bar meant for bicep curls.. works pretty well. About the food though, wont upping my consumtion of calories add fat when i dont burn it all off? Im attempting to lose maybe 15-20 lbs of fat as well.

20. Freekill

Freekill New Member

What kind of powder? i know i wont be consuming enough protein in the day from just food.. but what should i get? anything i can buy off the shelf at cvs maybe? My folks think dietary supplement = steroids (so i cant get them to buy it) 8 (

Edit: Something like this? I could totally afford 1 of these every week. Any danger in using it? How much should i take?

CVS.Com

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  21. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

well if you haven't been doing much cardio or lifting before, and you're just starting now, then don't worry about your consumption of calories. you should up it since you're starting, if that's the case. this all depends on your goal too of course. from what i remember, i guess you don't mind keeping the amount of muscle you have, just as long as you lose the fat. in that case, then stay with your current caloric consumption or lower it a little.

seeing as you're young, i wouldn't worry about the fat (which you'll burn a lot of when starting), unless you're really self conscious about your looks. you'll see drastic cahnges with a routine, and with your meals being split up.

22. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

i think double chocolate 10lbs ON whey is recommended by everyone here moreso than another brand. i think the site is 1800fast.com or something. you can find that on the stickies. i personally like the stuff. add peanut butter and milk and it's a damn good shake.

23. Gym Star

Gym Star New Member

[​IMG]

If cvs is your only option and this is what your looking at then go for it. Ive never seen or heard of it before. Its only 8 bucks, but it probably will taste like shit. Don't listen to anyone saying dietary supplements = steroids because they are uninformed!

24. Freekill

Freekill New Member

Thanks guys.. ill use the cvs stuff for a few weeks.. a friend of mine's dad wants him to use creatine so hes getting him some of that online.. ill see if he cant get me some of that ON stuff from him...so i got my diet... workout.. anything else i need?

P.S. bicep curls, sit-ups, squats, leg extensions, benchpress, shoulder press, and push-ups covers everything right? wont overwork something then have a really weak muscle somewhere? Just double checking, Thanks again for all the help guys.

25. Virtualmikey

Virtualmikey OT Supporter

Remember this, it's about as simple as I can break it down.

You do 6 basic movements in day to day living. Squat, Deadlift, Push, Pull, Twist, and Lunge.

So big exercises to do -

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Lunges
    Lat Pulldown
    Chinups
    Millitary Press
    Flat Bench, Close and wide grip

If you could only do a limited number of exercises, those (and variations on them) would be the best ones.

And knowing what I was like when I was 15, here's some basic dietary advice.

#1 -Stay away from the fucking soda and snack machines at your school.
    #2 - Drink twice as much water as you do now.
    #3 - Lay off the video games. They are fun but useless. Chicks don't care if you are lvl 60, but they do care if you are jacked.
    #4 - Have your mom stock up on Almonds, Chicken, Hard Cheeses, Omega 3 eggs, Multi Grain Bread, whole milk (don't flame me, diet freaks - he wants to put on weight) Ground Turkey, Decent quality cuts of red meat. She won't mind if you ask for healthy food. Eat dark green Veggies.
    #5 - Don't ever start smoking. It's the hardest thing I've ever done in my life to quit.
    #6 - If you can't think back to a food's natural state in 3 degrees from where it is now, don't eat it. Processed food is your fat cell's best friend.

Stick with it, don't give up 2 weeks in to it. After about a month of working out 5 days a week, you will start to notice that you are putting a lot more weight up than when you started. That first month is the easiest to get discouraged.

Take the weekends off and just have fun with your friends, your body needs a break and time to heal up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.