MMA Advancing in BJJ to Blue belt

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Bausk, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Bausk

Bausk New Member

How many of you are Blue Belt or higher in BJJ? Who is it under?

I'm just curious and looking for info. BJJ is definitely not my training focus, but I'm trying to improve my game and to train more often. I'm thinking I am at the point where I can look towards the horizon and almost want to get a Blue Belt. I know it's more of a "train to get better, not for belts" attitude at most gyms, including my own, but that sense of improvement and accomplishment can mean alot.

I'm asking this same question to my instructor. I'm also going to get our curriculum for what gets tested or what skills I'll need to know and be able to perform... but I'm curious going in what to expect. Any feedback would be great.

2. Placebo

Placebo New Member

I'm working on getting my purple. I disagree with some people's mentality of "know this this and this and you are ready for x belt." Everyone is different. Get rediculously good with a FEW techniques that work well for YOU. Come down to Troy or preferabely Canton and I'll give you some help.

3. Bausk

Bausk New Member

pm sent!

4. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

im a purple belt under a carlson black belt, ricardo "rey" diogo

i got my blue belt under marcus vinicius, from beverly hills jiu jitsu club

5. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Did you have a Blue Belt "test", or was it more of a watching you roll, seeing you were good enough?

6. chechen

when i got my blue belt from marcus .. he just had us test to make sure we knew a minimum amount of basic techniques. but as far as sparring went, he knew we were at a blue belt level

when i got my purple from my current instructor, he just gave it to me

7. infinite loop

infinite loop Statistically speaking, the Yankees do indeed suck

i'm thinking about attending bhjjc, what were your impressions?

8. chechen

i learned a lot of great fundamentals that i still use from that school. however.. i wouldnt recommend going there. the atmosphere isnt really a friendly one, and im not a big fan of the instructor. maybe things have changed, but i think there are a lot of better places to train in los angeles. check out hollywood jiu jitsu, if youre close to that. my school (rey diogo) is good too.

9. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Hopefully sooner than later. I just looked it up and it's about a 30 minute drive from my house, almost entirely freeway. I looked up the info on Blue Belt testing on your school's site. Not that I'm looking to come their to test, but it was good info. :)

10. infinite loop

would you elaborate on the atmosphere not being friendly? and what about the the instructor did you not like? thanks! :)

11. chechen

the instructor did not encourage me to ask questions to the higher belts when i was first starting, would belittle me, would be pissed off if i was late. did not know my name until I got my blue belt, a year later. You also get locked into an annoying contract.

I just didnt like a lot of the guys there at the time. Im sure its a totally different set of guys.. so I dont know.

The instructor did teach really good fundamentals for beginners. I appreciate that part of it now because a lot of jiu jitsu schools dont spend enough time catering towards beginners. However, I have a lot of bad memories from that school.. and as a result of all this stuff, I switched schools shortly after I got my blue belt, and I've been happier since then.

If its very close to you or convenient or whatnot. go take a free class there and see if you like it. I mean it's been almost three years since I put my foot through those doors, so things mightve changed.

12. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

wow that sounds like a big tradeoff chech... I know at my academy there is never really a 'basics' class, it's just kind of, absorb them as you go along and have the blue belts help you with the basics :dunno: but I don't know if I would like that environment either.

13. infinite loop

that's not cool. i understand there's a lot of testosterone in those classes, but there's no need to pay good money only to be ignored.

thanks for the heads up :bigthumb:

so tell me more about hollywood jj. is it a good place for beginners? i'm not looking to be a pro or anything, just want some ground work to supplement my standup stuff.

14. chechen

hollywood jj has some really tough tough tough purple belts.. its a new school run by a renzo gracie black belt named shawn williams. all the tough guys in the LA area seemed to migrate to it, so the level is very high. shawn williams does an excellent job of explaining techniques. the parking is kind of annoying, its in a busy area

im not sure of how much beginner techniques he teaches though.

my school has designated 7-8 pm from mon-wed to beginners, so its pretty good, although i wish he'd show a few things he hasnt shown yet. But still pretty good because theres a ton of white belts right now.