Advanced XP Folder

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bencorn, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

Anyone who's used XBMC for video streaming may know what I'm talking about but what I'm trying to do is make one folder on my computer that displays the contents of 4 separate drives within it as if it were all on one drive. IE. I want all my video files on 4 different drives to be displayed within one folder without using shortcuts for 6000 + files or several hundred folders. I don't know if its possible but in XBMC you could type in all the different addresses and it would compile all the contents into a single folder. I'm going to raid eventually which will eliminate the need for this, but until then if anyone has an idea on how to do this, that would be great.

2. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

I think this was talked about semi-recently in the XMBC thread stickied in Gamer's Pulse.

Anyway... as far as i know, there is no way to make XMBC see different folders/drives as one entry.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

There isn't a way to do this, not in Explorer anyway. You could probably find an alternate file manager that would show you files like this.

4. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

Zak, there is a way of doing it in XBMC. When you create a shortcut to a shared folder, you can continue listing shortcuts and it will group all them together within that folder. Like in my XBMC I have the following shortcuts under My Videos under a TV folder:

....../TV1
    ....../TV2
    ....../TV3
    ....../TV4

All the TV folders are on different drives on my computer but after putting that in, XBMC lists all the contents of those 4 directories within one folder on my xbox. I thought that was an awesome feature and wanted to do it on my computer, but after months of searching and asking have come up with no answers except RAID the drives. Soon as I get a few more drives I'm going to RAID them though so it won't be an issue much longer I suppose.

5. Supernaut

Supernaut New Member

This is the closest I think you can get to what you are trying to accomplish. You won't get a single folder with all your content, but at least you'll get a single source for all of your drives. Create empty subfolders for each drive. Go into Computer Managment -> Disk Management. Right click on each drive and select Change Drive Letter And Paths. Select empty subfolder as mount point.

[​IMG]

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

or you could use RAID. I would suggest levels 3 or 5.