Advanced support needed for XP issue

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nattycrew, Mar 23, 2007.

1. nattycrew

nattycrew .

Ok so I reverted back to old Nvidia drivers after finding out there's a bug and they screw up full screen video (I tried for 2 weeks to fix that). I reboot and the bastard restarts itself before it even gets to the WinXP boot screen. Does the same in Safe Mode as well. I tried pulling each of my vid cards and that didnt help anything. Then I booted up with my super utilities DVD and tried to do a system restore rollback, that didn't do shit. Then I tried adding some switches to the boot.ini /BASEVIDEO and /BOOTLOG

I tried each separately. basevideo same thing happened. bootlog, i tried to boot, then booted up with my util cd and checked for teh log file.. it didnt even make one.. WTF :sadwavey:

I'm hoping someone has an idea of what i can do here. I'm really trying to avoid a format and reinstall. :x:

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Can you get into Windows at all? If you can, run System Restore. If you can't, boot up from your Windows Install CD and run a Windows Repair (NOT the same as Automated System Restore).

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

If it's rebooting itself, it's probably blue-screening. When the machine boots up, hit F8 and hit the option to disable automatic system restart. If you are getting a blue screen, the machine will halt on it.

4. nattycrew

nattycrew .

Cant get into windows. I'm going to try recovery console tonight when i get home.

5. nattycrew

nattycrew .

I dont see that option when it comes up :dunno:

6. deusexaethera

Not the recovery console either. Make like you're going to reinstall windows, but when it asks you if you want to wipe out your existing installation, tell it to repair instead.

7. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

You could try putting the hard drive in another pc and going into the
    driver folder and deleting the nvidia driver.

That way when you booted up, it would treat it like an innitial install of the driver.

8. nattycrew

nattycrew .

I should have specified this, but i already tried deleting the files in system32 from nvidia.

Can't take them from one comp to another cuz its a sata raid array. PCIe controller and i dont have any other comps with pcie slots.

9. nattycrew

nattycrew .

I didnt get this option but i made a custom XP cd with my raid card drivers slipstreamed in. I also included some options file so that may be why I'm missing out on some stuff. I'm going to try removing those files and burning a new copy. Won't the repair cause a lot of programs to stop working after? I think i really need to ghost these drives before I go too far. :noes:

10. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

It's the other way around.
    A repair will leave programs alone, but the recovery console can mess things up.

11. deusexaethera

(slap)

Right, it makes more sense for people who don't know how to diagnose a failing hard drive, and who don't have the money or the discipline to use a tape backup drive, to store all of their data on a single disk.

My PC has a RAID. My dad's recording PC has a RAID. The only reason my mother's computer doesn't have a RAID is because she has an XPC and the case is too small, but I have her computer set to sync to a Firewire drive once an hour. This way I don't have to tell them that years of their work went down the shitter because their computer wore out. It's not like the old days when people kept everything on floppy disks because it was the only option; people keep EVERYTHING on their hard drives now, and they need redundancy to save their asses.

12. deusexaethera

Any way you slice it, a non-redundant drive is going to dump all the data on it into the toilet when it fails, regardless of whether it's movies or documents or the operating system. RAID disconnects the dependability of the OS from the hardware that it resides on, thus making for a more stable system.

I say it's stupid to not put the OS on a RAID.