Advanced question...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dannycam, May 24, 2006.

1. Dannycam

Dannycam New Member

advanced question for you guys on sound system
    Guys...IM DYING HERE!

This might be long, so for those that want to help, thanks in advanced...(ive installed several systems before, so i do know what im doing...)

I recently dropped an lt1/6 speed in the Camaro. The motor is a 96 and in changing the motor, i decided to put a 94 wire harness for obd1 purposes. I changed teh engine and interior harness.

When I got the car out of the shop, the stock harness worked fine with the stock radio, but only on the front speakers. The guy who did my swap never connected the rear wire harnesses, and gave me the excuse that..."well, since your gonna get the car re-wired for a system, i didnt install them."

I decided that when i installed the new radio, id run direct wires to the rear speakers, as well as the front door speakers. It was cake. The radio works and all four speakers are working.

I had teh car wired from before teh swap for my system, with all the necessary wires running to the back of the car.

I installed my amplifier and my speakers, and at first no sound was coming out of them. the amp light was green, and everything was wired properly. i thought...**** somethings wrong. I decided to remove the amp and check it on another car..it worked fine. i then made sure the speakers werent blown by connecting them to a drill battery, and the pumped as well...basically the hardware is fine.

im going insane! the speakers are now thumping at a VERY LOW RATE and only when teh sound is under 10 on the jvc. next, the are thumping out of sync with the music.

what do you think it could be? id hate to rewire the car, but i might be going that way. thanks for your help guys.

2. -argonaut-

-argonaut- New Member

While you've not mentioned what sort of amp you have, I'm assuming that there's a "phase" switching panel that provides the ability to switch from "mono" to "stereo"/"2" or "4" channel/etc., etc.
    So then, in what position do you have the "phase" switched? You've probally knocked a switch to the wrong position by accident during either install or removal.

3. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Eh, maybe... try that but I don't think that's it.

It might be the radio, weak/screwed up pre-outs. It is a JVC, lawl.

But how old is this JVC? And how many pre-outs does it have? Are you using a 4channel amp and 4aftermarket interior speakers?

Answering this should give us a better idea of what's going on.

:)

4. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

bad RCA's or bad ground

edit:that's my first thought. could be bad radio. i seriously doubt that you have any issue with OEM harness. unless you have some weird backfeeding issues between amp, radio, car, and flux capacitor

5. darkslayer

darkslayer There is more to life than increasing its speed.

sounds a lot like a ground loop problem look for a better place to ground the amp and then check the rca wires and possibly replace them. I wouldnt blame the hu just yet.