Advanced Process Scheduler v1.1.67

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Apr 27, 2006.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

(exhale)

I've finally finished updating my program. Actually, I finished updating it a couple of weeks ago, but a combination of bugs and laziness prevented a more timely release. Among the new features is the ability to directly control SYSTEM processes. It also has an installer now, so it's easier to set up. Give it a shot; the download link is:

http://www.redrock59.org/aps/aps_v1.1.60.exe

EDIT: See http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2409673 for historical info.

2. deusexaethera

Nobody has anything to say?

3. Grelmar

Grelmar New Member

Sorry deusex,

I read this yesterday afternoon, and kinda came by today to see if I could find the thread to comment on it.

I like the fact you can now control system processes, (even though I haven't tested it out yet.)

At this exact moment in time, I don't have much spare time to devote to tinkering with it.

I'm glad you're still working on it, though. It's an app that's going to be in need as more systems go dual core or dual processor (or a combination of the two).

4. deusexaethera

How much you want to bet Vista will have a similar tool? Maybe I can sell mine to MS for a bit of cash; you know, save them the R & D time. :hs:

5. Grelmar

Grelmar New Member

If MS does this now, you have a prior art case for patent.

And maybe a copyright case too.

If they are going to do this for Vista, it might be in your interests to pester them a bit. Drop them an e-mail to establish a timeline. AFAIK, nothing like this is in the beta releases of Vista.

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

So, not knowing you... why would I run this arbitrary .exe on my machine? Is source code available?

7. Clarity

Clarity New Member

In ASM.

8. deusexaethera

The source code is not freely available, yet. I plan to make the functional libraries available on the website I might someday have, but the core source code will probably not be posted for all to see.

Why would you run it, without knowing me? Well, that's up to you to decide. I have no interest in fucking up other people's machines, and if I did, I doubt I'd have enough time to post a "mwahaha" thread before I'd be banned for life.

Don't you run Linux, anyway? This is a Windows program.

9. deusexaethera

Can you be more specific? What isn't it doing?

10. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Probably missing OCX files. TABCTL32.OCX for example. Are you using VB6 for this?

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I run OS X, Windows, and Linux. I have to. My point is that I don't run arbitrary code that isn't open source on my machines. Lots of people that need the functionality that you provide but work in a mission critical environment will agree with me, so they won't be able to use your software... whether its commercial or not. Why won't you release the source? Are you thinking of selling it?

12. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

You can still sell the binary if you give the source away for free. Hell lots of companies do that. They will release their binaries before their source.

13. deusexaethera

I did use VB6, but the installer registers COMDLG32.OCX and TABCTL32.OCX with REGSVR32 immediately after installing...unless you unchecked the box that runs PSUTIL.EXE. In that case, unless you have those OCX files already, the program won't run properly.

14. deusexaethera

That's why people invented sandboxes. Run it on an old laptop or something and see if it shreds your hard drive. I said before, I have no reason to be malicious. Go ahead and search my old posts and see if I haven't tried to be helpful when other people were jeering.

I'm not releasing the core source code because it's mine. I spent weeks of my time on it and I want my name to stay on it for a while. If I publish the core source code, I have no guarantee whatsoever that I'll get any credit for making the program. Isn't it enough that I'm giving the program away for free, and I wrote a nice user guide to go with it too?

Last edited: May 2, 2006
  15. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

That is why you use SourceForge, put it up with the GLP3 license and away you go.

Think Linus worries about his name and Linux Kernals?

16. deusexaethera

No, I suppose Mr. Torvalds doesn't worry about whether people will know he's the guy who manages the release of Linux kernels. Then again, there is only one Linus Torvalds. How many other people who have released their products to the wind are world-renowned? How many of them got ripped off instead? Obviously the second question is purely academic, but the point remains that if I release my code, GPL or no GPL, there is no guarantee that my name will stay on the code or that I'll be able to hunt down whoever might try to pass my code off as theirs. Maybe I'll do that eventually, but not yet. I'd be willing to bet Mr. Torvalds held on to the Linux kernel for a couple of revisions before letting everybody have at it.

- - -

To counterpoint the argument of why anyone who doesn't know me should risk installing my no-name software without seeing the source code...why should I risk releasing my source code without knowing the people who are going to read it? The opportunity for exploitation goes both ways, doesn't it Peyomp?

17. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

But you lose nothing by having others use your source code, do you? You created software in order that people would run it... thats why you're giving away the binary in the first place. Release it under GPL2. What do you stand to lose? There are 10s of thousands of projects released under GPL2. It works. And you can still issue commercial licenses if you want, later.

You have nothing to lose by releasing the source, except your sense of control, which you can still exercise, at sourceforge. And no, Linus didn't hold onto shit. And neither have 10s of thousands of the people who started other open source projects.

18. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Yea, the installer needs some work. It didn't install the shortcut either.

19. deusexaethera

Licenses are exactly as effective as the licensor's ability to enforce them. I don't have the time or the money to chase down people who might steal my code, not that I expect a mob of people would crash SourceForge in a rush to download my little contribution to the world of freeware.

If I were charging money and you didn't think my product was worth buying, that would be my problem. But I'm giving it away, and if you're not content with free and unlimited usage, that's your problem. Call me the distrusting party if you will, but keep in mind that I was not the first person to point a finger at an imagined conspiracy.

It stands as it stands; the program is free, but not open. I have no problem with open source software, but I don't give away the blueprints along with the toys. I'm sorry if that's unacceptable, and I hope you'll come up with a way to test my program to your satisfaction if you absolutely must be sure it's completely safe before using it in a live environment.

20. deusexaethera

Run PSUTIL manually and let me know if it sets up the shortcuts. I need to know if the post-setup-utility is at fault or if it works right but it's not getting executed.

21. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

There IS no way to test it satisfactorily without the source. Look, you've created a product that is best suited to environments where arbitrary code CANNOT be run. There is no way to test this in a sandbox... what if the problem is a bug in the code you don't know about? What if there is a time delay in some malicious code? Thats all I'm saying. What is it that you hope to get out of retaining the code anyway?

22. deusexaethera

It's ironic that you're telling me I have nothing to lose but my sense of control and that I should let that go, when your entire argument is built around your own frustration with not having that same control. I'm not saying you want to steal my work, I'm saying you should consider whether your own motivations are different from mine.

By keeping the source code I keep my name on the application. That's all. I couldn't care less about being able to issue commercial licenses.

Are you actually debating in a purely academic sense? Or are you trying to say that you'd like to be able to use the program, but you can't because of the actual, real security risk at your job? Because if you actually want to use the program, that's a different matter altogether.

23. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

There are plenty of "not-open-source" utilities that get run in the enterprise, even from small companies or individuals. No company I know of does code reviews of 3rd party software they buy or use unless it was written for them under contract.

24. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Shortcut yes, still getting OCX errors though.

edit: actually, the OCX files are nowhere on my PC. Are you sure they are in the package?

25. deusexaethera

Yes, they should have unzipped into the target folder and then been moved into %windir%\system32 and registered with REGSVR32 by the post-setup-utility. If they're not in the target folder, then I need to check the code that registers the files. It must be moving the files and then failing to register them.