advanced networking question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bow2ak, Aug 22, 2003.

1. bow2ak

bow2ak New Member

I have 2 locations, a mile away from each other, connected via t1 point to point. each location has its own dsl connection. the t1 ptp is extremely slow when accessing files. The win2k dc, exchange server, sql server, is all one location, and the computers connect to the other location with the t1 of course. the way it is setup now is that all the clients on both sides gateway connects to the t1 router, which either sends the signal to the other location, or the dsl, and im thinking this is causing the extreme slowness of the 1.544 mb full t1...

Any suggestions on how this network should be setup would be grealy appreciated.. meaning client gateway and how the router should be setup i order to get full use of the t1 without bottlenecking it..

I tried to install sygate and bridge the networks together to see if it makes a difference, but the speed was not bearable..

first location

t1 router - 192.0.1.250
    dsl router - 192.0.1.254
    client configuration -- gateway - 192.0.1.250
    dns - 192.0.0.13

other location

t1 router - 192.0.0.250
    dsl router - 192.0.0.254
    win2k dc - 192.0.0.13
    client configuration - gateway - 192.0.0.250
    dns - 192.0.0.13

2. Tom Ridge

Tom Ridge Guest

A picture tells a thousand words in the networking world. ;)

What kind of routers do you have? Try setting up SNMP on them and running MRTG. That will show you the load on the link. Are you traffic-shaping in any way? Is your DSL connection also PTP?

3. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

From what I gathered from the post he is using some form of software router. :confused: We need more info on the routers.

MRTG is a good way to show utilization, but if it isn't showing much load and things are still going slow, there are some other problems.

But that is a good first step. :big grin:

4. bow2ak

bow2ak New Member

The dsl router is a cisco 678 and the t1 router is a lucent acsend pipeline 130. I am not using any traffic shaping. the software router was only a test to bridge the connections and see if it made a difference. im going to download mrtg now and install it on the 2k machines and see the utlization.

thanks

5. Tom Ridge

Tom Ridge Guest

Ah, if utilization is pinned, you could try some traffic-shaping and weighted random early-detect to smooth out the flows to prevent TCP global sync. Another thing to do is to put in a static route through the DSL router for round-robin load-balancing.

If it isn't pinned and things are going slow, that's when I wash my hands clean and say "Layer 7. Talk to the software guys." :big grin::big grin::big grin:

6. Tom Ridge

Tom Ridge Guest

To go on a tangent here, what were you using to bridge the two networks? Did you have to create a tunnel between your 2 software routers to bridge them?

7. bow2ak

bow2ak New Member

I was using sygate as a nat w/ 3 nics, and bridged the connections trhough the software.. right now its setup so that everyone connects to the lucent t1 router, and the t1 router has a static route to the dsl router.

8. Tom Ridge

Tom Ridge Guest

But the Lucent doesn't have a route to the other end of the network through the DSL router does it? Can you copy and paste the routing table?

9. bow2ak

bow2ak New Member

no it just has a direct connection with the other location, it doesnt use the dsl as a connection to the other side, the lucent router is a weird router and the route links are not very clear..

10. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

No more blaming it on layer 8? :big grin: :big grin:

11. bow2ak

bow2ak New Member

I have no idea what i need to do.. i checked the server performance monitor, and network interface current bandwidth used.. it hasnt dropped below 100% yet.. the server im talking about controls the dc, dhcp, dns, application server... maybe i should make the application server a gigabit server and make another computer the dc dhcp and dns?? and what about the sygate situation, should i still try to bridge the networks and see what happens??

basically there are 7 computers on the server side location, which use the application directly off of the server, its a microsoft fox application, and on the other location there are about 2 people using it...

12. bow2ak

bow2ak New Member

well forget everything i said, i used terminal services on one of the machines and it worked like a charm. now ill buy a couple terminal services licenses and ill be on my way.. thanks for your help

13. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Bah. There's always a layer 1 resolution to everything.

Install a mile long length of aerial singlemode fiber. Now there is no relying on point to point, etc. You've got an active link available to you 24/7. Keep the DSL PTP for fault tolerance.

14. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Those layer one guys always have an answer. :bigthumb: